|| Chapter 00 ||

Word Count : 1127 words

________________________________________________________________________________

I ran through the wild night. It was a full moon. My footsteps created ripples on the rain-soaked cobblestone, and I clambered to the enormous iron gate that separated this now-turned hellhole from the outside world.

"Ungh..... ugh....."

My younger sister clutched on tighter onto my blood-soaked jacket.

"There, there," I cooed. "You'll be fine. Nii-san is here, right?"

She started breathing a bit raggedly, and the torrential rain was not helping either. I instinctively ducked behind the bushes on the side of the pavement to conceal myself from the horde of people standing by the gate.

"Spare no one!" screamed one of the people in that crowd. I did not know who he was. I did not know who anyone was.

The one who screamed was covered in fire. He had fire for hair, for his beard, and he wore a blue suit. How was the fire not going out in the rain? I wondered.

"Are they bad people?" my sister asked me quietly, as she stared at the gate.

"No. No, not at all," I reassured her. "They're here to save us. Mum and Dad will be here soon as well."

"I didn't see Mama anywhere. I didn't see Papa either," she said. "Why is it taking them so long?"

"Don't worry. They'll be here soon."

I tried to calm my aching heart. I did not want to lie to my sister. The one person in this entire world I have sworn to protect.

But the truth was different.

And I could not bring myself to tell her the truth.

"Hey, what the hell is going on?!"

A deafening scream rang out in the middle of the night, and I jerked my head towards the source. It seemed to have come directly from the crowd gathered at the gate.

"Eraser, come in! Eraser, do you copy!?"

A person with slicked, blond hair, and a speaker on his chest, screamed into what I assumed was an earpiece.

"The hell! Shota isn't responding!"

"There were bound to be casualties during this raid," the fire-man spoke up. "We cannot afford to waste our time over nonsense like this."

"Endeavor, you're taking this crap too seriously! We don't even know what we're looking for!"

"It's simple. We're looking for two kids. A boy with shoulder-length black hair, and about 8 years. And a young girl with silver hair. She'll be around 4 or 5."

"No shit, even I know that! But why are we looking for them!"

The fire man ignored the sound box's request, and he flew with his flames towards the mansion that I had left behind. There were many people inside — and they were looking for us.