Chapter Three-The Will of Lord Sheppard Fitzhume

I was was in deep shock.

      The title was something I didn't expect.

       Roger glared at me.

         Charles was speechless.

          "I, Lord Sheppard Fitzhume, have bequeathed my Will to Emma DeWitte. She is my daughter...and, as such, shall run Sheppard Bridge Manor. It is not to be run by a DeWitte man. The DeWittes are not to be given any pounds...I have forbade my daughter not to marry Roger DeWitte...He is not worthy of being my son-in-law...Robert DeWitte loves a servant girl...The scandal will ruin us...Charles DeWitte is aloof...and is a dangerous man...There's no such things as spirits. Thus, I am glad that my will shall be taken care of...If Emma dies early, Sheppard Bridge Manor and Shepppard Bridge, and Sheppard Woods, will stay empty...A Mr. Donald French, a local London Lawyer, shall take care of the legal, finanicial, and business affairs of Sheppard Bridge Manor...Any conflict shall be addressed to Mr. French...

Signed,

Mr Sheppard Fitzhume,

2 September, 1666

"Outrageous! Emma is dead...An a Lawyer will come to oversee the Manor's affairs! How awful", I said.

             "Well, we can't do anything...There's no second will to change things", Rogert said.

             "I'm not afraid of him", Charles said.

              "Then we just change it", I declared, "...And Melanie's part of the family. I'll inform her that she shall remain in my employ", I added.

                "Then it's settled. We'll see off the Lawyer...and remain at Sheppard Bridge Hall", Roger said.

                 And then we burned the Will in the fireplace in the Dining Room. And forgot all about it, as we went about our own business knowing that our future was now in our own hands...and leaving The Old Man to rot in his own damnation.

Page 3