Chapter 164 - The Kindness of Giving Birth To Her?

The comments in the live-stream had already gone nuts:

‘Oh my god! I actually just saw a plot twist online! She isn’t his biological daughter! My goodness!’

‘No wonder she isn’t close to her father! As it turned out, she isn’t his biological daughter! It’s no wonder, then!’

‘That’s too biased an opinion. The way I see it, the kindness one shows by raising a child outweighs that of giving birth to the child. Just because she isn’t his biological child, does that mean she can just forget how painstakingly he had raised her?’

‘I agree. If you can be a total ingrate just because you aren’t your parents’ biological child, then what kind of position do you put the families in who so kindly adopt children in the orphanage?’

‘I am an adopted child myself. My biological parents abandoned me at birth, but my adoptive parents treated me very well. Our relationship now is no different from that of blood-related parents and children. Does it matter whether we are blood-related or not?’

At the Andersons.

Roxanne, who was astounded by the turn of events, was actually feeling a little embarrassed. She had come here solely to hype it up for her live-stream, as well as to persuade them to reconcile.

She hadn’t expected such twists and turns at all.

She couldn’t help but secretly blame and resent Henry for not telling her the truth. Besides, from the way he was reacting, he obviously knew about it. He just didn’t want to admit to it, that was all.

She frowned and glanced at the comments in the live-stream. Then, the quick-witted reporter said, “There’s no greater kindness than the love and care that one receives from their parents when they’re growing up, Ms. Smith. A DNA test report doesn’t explain anything. Since you grew up in the Smiths, then that makes them your parents. Do you really want to sever ties with your parents who had so painstakingly brought you up?”

The moment she said that, Wendy reacted very quickly. She took out a handkerchief from who-knows-where and held it over her eyes as she cried. She said, “I see. Did you distance yourself from us because of that? But think about it—when have we ever treated you badly during all these years?”

Henry’s expression had also darkened.

Having a fact like this exposed put him in an embarrassing situation. However, now that things had come to this, it wasn’t just a matter of whether it was embarrassing or not anymore.

He clenched his jaw and said, “Yes, you are indeed not my biological daughter, but on account of my relationship with your mother, I’ve treated you like my own all these years. I worked so hard to make money so that I could provide for you. Are you going to just negate our kindness in bringing you up just because you’re not my biological daughter?”

Roxanne heaved a sigh and said, “They’re your parents, Ms. Smith. It’s all thanks to them that you’ve grown from a helpless baby to the beautiful young woman you are now. As far as I know, you were home until you were at least 19 years old. You…”

The trio joined forces to denounce her.

Nora cast her eyes down.

She didn’t like exposing her affairs to others, and letting them know that she had never been loved since she was a child; or that she had always hidden herself in a pitch-dark room since she was a child; or that when she was still a child without any means of retaliation, she could only eat food that had gone bad and drink cold water.