♛ 44

In glittering ward 11, a beast awakens. Not in the form of a monster, but it was enough to terrify whoever encountered it.

The calendar was rolling closer to the end of winter, the pages of the date blowing away as quick as the wind. Time was both hurried and unhurried at the same time as they were getting closer to the d-day.

A young man walked towards the turbulence, hands inside his pocket. He was approaching the border of Phantom Viper's territory and reaching towards the enemy's territory. From the corner of his eyes, he could see that all eyes were on him.

The young man narrowed his eyes in concentration as he was getting closer towards the end of their zone, finally spotting the man behind all this mayhem. His fingers were fiddling with a piece of knight from his chess.

For a moment, it seemed like he hadn't registered the sight before him. He stared at the man with a blank gaze, utterly in bewilderment. His lips parted with a small puff of air, clicking his tongue against his inner cheeks.

"Mark," the man before him exclaimed as soon as he saw him. It was none other than the person who once used to spend all his time with him. His own once beloved brother.

Taeyong cleared his throat. "You came."

"Get straight to the point." the younger spat, his tone was rough and impatient.

Taeyong understood his rather harsh behavior. Mark clearly never had any intention to go here, let alone meet his brother. But he was running out of time and he had two more things to settle—his mission and the war.

The irony was that those two might lead him towards death. He was driving towards the end of a cliff, but there was no break to step on. This was his only option.

"She's safe, I can ensure you that," Taeyong said, referring to Dasom's younger sister. "You do know you need to finish your mission within this week, right?"

"I do." Mark replied, his left hand reaching towards the gun that was strapped to his holsters. His right hand on the other hand, was still holding the knight piece from his chess, fingers moving relentlessly.

"Then finish it. We both know what needed to be done, I've made my move. What's yours?"

"I know," the younger divulged. He took a glance at the knight piece on his hand, throwing it towards his brother. To his luck, he managed to catch it. "I'm taking my steps like the knight."

"Like the knight?" Taeyong knitted his eyebrows, staring at the small miniature in his hands.

Mark nodded, shoving his hands inside his pocket again. "A knight in chess can move two squares horizontally and one square vertically, which means it has eight possible moves."

"And your point is?" 

Mark raised an eyebrow, not believing his brother was this dumb. Or perhaps, his mind was just way too advanced. "You won't know which one will be my next move, but I will make the next move."

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚

Even if true feelings could be translated, the true meaning wouldn't be conveyed—particularly Dasom's. 

She felt like giving up, but at the same time she couldn't. She still had a purpose. Her sister was still alive somewhere out there, she needed to get her back, and finish her mission.

But most importantly, she needed to win the game. Though as of now, it sounded nearly impossible.

"So, who will be playing today again?" Yangyang asked.

Xiaojun quietly leaned back on the sofa, rising his hand. "Me."

Donghyuck nodded, "alright, and who else?"

It went quiet after that. They all practically had their turns, only Xiaojun was the only one left who didn't get the chance to play yet this week. 

"I'll do it." Dasom volunteered.

Mark's eye twitched upon hearing her words, but he let her be. Dasom wasn't the type to beat around the bush. She liked to play safe, yet direct at the same time. There was no stopping once she had made up her mind. 

She then headed towards the equipment room. Dasom put her gear on, inserting her gun in her holsters.

"Dasom," a voice called out to her.

She looked over her shoulder, seeing Mark walking towards her with an unreadable look on his face. Once she finished tying her shoe lace, she turned her body to face him only to be met with silence once again.

Mark parted his lips, letting out air flow through the gap. He lifted his hand, placing it right on top of her head. Dasom's eye widened in surprise, not expecting him to do that at all.

"Come back alive, will you?"

Dasom's lips curved into a crescent smile. However, her eyes showed a different emotion. It wasn't joy nor bliss—agony.

She opened her mouth to speak, but the Mark immediately stopped her. "No, I know what you're going to say and I don't wanna hear any of that. So promise me, you won't do any of what I'm thinking?"

Dasom chuckled, taking his hand that was on top of her head. She looked down at her hands as she held his bigger ones, "I'm not a mind reader, Mark. I don't know what you're thinking."

"Don't bullshit me, Dasom. I swear if you—" he stopped himself in the middle of his sentence, not wanting to finish it. He hated the thought of that. "Just, please."

He was technically begging. Begging for her to not leave him, to not die on him. 

Dasom looked up at him, staring at his glossy orbs. "Is this the end? If it is, you should've told me beforehand."

It has always been his habit, not telling anyone other than himself his plan. Fortunately for him, Dasom was quick to adjust with his pace. 

"I never said that." He denied.

"But you sound like you're bidding me goodbye, Mark." 

Mark pursed his lips, not knowing what to say. He felt something peculiar, something he had never felt before. 

Instead of muttering another word, he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her body towards his. He brought her left hand behind her head, resting it on his shoulder. He held her in his embrace, not wanting this moment to end.

It was like a drop in the ocean—a sudden change in the weather. He was wishing for rain as he stood in the desert. Holding her closer than most was the least he could do.

He then pulled away from her, leaving the girl astounded. 

"Dasom, I know who the descendant is," he spoke.

He looked down on his palms, feeling the uneasiness taking over his body. "It's Xiaojun."

oh

oh