9 - New Year's

School went by a lot slower. Studying for tests and exams began to weigh down on you, and as they loomed closer, it took a toll on your mental health. You spent your time at school studying. You spent your time at home studying.

The only two things to look forward to were the holidays and moving schools after that. You texted Megumi every night; it was one of the few things that kept you remotely happy.

Megumi <3
Did you see Tsumiki today?

You
No, I'm really sorry, I had to study all day today

Megumi <3
You were studying all day yesterday, though, you should take a break

You
I know, I need to get really good scores on all my exams so that I can prove to my parents I don't need extra lessons while I'm at Jujutsu High. My parents said if I don't get good grades I'll have to see a tutor five times a week

Megumi <3
You should focus on studying then, you don't have to visit Tsumiki yet

It wasn't long before exams came around. You were stressed, but managed to calm your nerves during tests. The end of exams brought relief to everyone, especially yourself, taking the weight off of your shoulders. It meant you didn't have to study anymore and could do the things you wanted to.

You
I had my exams today, I think I passed most of them

Megumi <3
That's great

You
I got time to see Tsumiki too!

Megumi <3
How is she

You
Nothing's changed

Megumi <3
Oh

You
It's ok, I'm sure she'll wake up soon

Megumi <3
Yeah

You
I can't wait to see her when she wakes up

Megumi <3
Same, thanks for checking in on her for me today

Christmas came around, and you spent the time with your family, enjoying a Christmas dinner which you'd helped prepare. Part of you wanted to give something to Megumi for Christmas, but you were too nervous to see him again, so you sent him a 'Merry Christmas' message instead. You were worried that seeing him near Christmas Eve would be considered romantic, since Christmas Eve in Japan is considered a couple's holiday, kind of like Valentine's Day.

You
Merry Christmas!

Megumi <3
You too, I sent a card to the hospital for Tsumiki

You
I'll let you know when it shows up in her room

Megumi <3
Thanks so much

A couple of days after Christmas, you went to visit Tsumiki. You swapped out the dying flowers in the vase with a fresh bunch of white lilies. A card stood on her bedside table, and you knew it was Megumi's.

You felt bad for reading it, but when you did, you cried hard. He wrote things in there about how he felt about Tsumiki that he'd never admit out loud to anyone. You felt guilty since it was so personal, so you set it down on the table before you could read any more of it.

You hoped she'd wake up soon so she could read it for herself.

You
How was Jujutsu High before the break?

Megumi <3
I'm not really getting any time off, Gojo-sensei's giving me missions during the holidays

You
What's he like as a teacher

Megumi <3
We were late to the mission location this morning bc he stopped to get daifuku

You
Oh

On New Year's Day, you went out with your friends from school to go visit a shrine and afterwards eat O-sechi ryori, a New Year's Day feast. The dinner consisted of a large variety of foods which filled you up fast.

"So what was your report card like?" Fujinuma asked a friend.

"I got a D in Science!"

"Really? I got a B for that, even though I skipped a lot of lessons!"

You checked the time on your phone as your friends chatted and laughed. Nine thirty... my parents want me home by ten...

"Sorry, but I have to go home early," You said to your friends.

"Ok, enjoy the rest of your holidays!"

"We should catch up again soon, I'm going to miss not having you at school!" Fujinuma said.

"I'll miss you too," You replied, standing up, "We'll organise something before the holidays are over. See you later!"

There was a chorus of goodbyes as you left the restaurant. You adjusted your outfit, then wandered down the street, heading towards the train station.

Something didn't feel right about this. There were enough street lights to light up your way. The buildings surrounding the road were tall, but not tall enough to hide a bright, full moon shining down on the road.

Dangerous cursed energy was in the air, radiating from a nearby building.

You didn't have your sword this time, but you'd still brought a small bag with you with a cursed weapon. It was a knife; the blade was small, but if the curse was low-grade, you'd still be able to exorcise it.

The door was already unlocked. You walked in, alert, and took the knife out of your bag as a precaution.

You remembered the incident almost two months ago, where you exorcised the curse in a building. This can't be too different, right? Except you couldn't use your earthquake technique again; this building was smaller, plus you didn't have your sword with you.

I can deal with it if it's a low-grade.

You made your way up the stairs in the dark room, using your phone torch to see. The cursed energy was thick in the air like last time, but this time, it seemed to be radiating from more than one source.

More than one curse?

Maybe this wasn't a good idea. The smarter option would be get out of the building and call Megumi to ask if Jujutsu High had any sorcerers who could come.

You went back downstairs and through the door onto the street. You took out your phone from your bag and called his number. Luckily he picked up.

"Y/n, what's up?"

"Are you on a mission already?"

"Yeah, sorry, I've already left to go to a mission, I'm almost there."

"Oh, ok. Well I was wondering if there were any Jujutsu sorcerers free who could come to–"

You stopped talking when your phone was knocked out of your hand. It slid away from you across the road, screen shattered.

You froze. Why hadn't you sensed the change in cursed energy when you were calling Megumi?

"Don't call backup," The curse spoke.