34

"Actions have consequences

"Actions have consequences."

Nel read out loud. Umbridge had gotten her good. Not that she hadn't been expecting her to do so. According to the Professor, Elowen was a lost cause, a menace to society.

It hurt. It was cruel and humiliating. However, she seized the opportunity to note every detail in her office, anything that could prove helpful or could be viable information to hurt Professor Umbridge.

"You know deep down you deserve to be punished. Don't you, Ms. Saintday?"

'Actions have consequences,' Nel thought through gritted teeth. It was fitting, so very fitting it reminded her of her vow of vengeance.

Since her arrival, Umbridge had been appointed to the post of Hogwarts High Inquisitor by the Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge. She had begun to test and even do her own investigations into Hogwarts teachers.

Elowen sat anxiously in the Slytherin Common Room, a place she dreaded to be. All the Slytherins were all passing by here. However, she was waiting for one person.

She closed her book about Necromancy and approached Tracey when she entered the room.

"Trace!" She stopped her, bracing herself with the bit of courage she had. Daphne just happened to be behind her with Millicent tagging along, no doubt because Parkinson was out on prefect duty with Malfoy. She hadn't planned for the others to be nearby.

The Quidditch tryouts were tomorrow. Tracey was walking a little faster due to her nerves.

"Oh, hi everyone," She stammered nervously.

What Harry was said was true. If they were really her friends, they wouldn't mind what her truth was, no matter how ugly it was. She eyed Millicent anxiously, hoping she would go away. Instead, she stayed.

Crap.

"Got something to say, Elowen?" The queen of the snakes, Daphne, looked at her, bored. Her look of apathy stung.

"Yeah," She prepared best she could, gathering in some courage and a deep breath. She could really use a cigarette right about now. "I just wanted to wish Tracey good luck for tomorrow," she nodded. "I know how hard you've been working. I know this is your year," Nel smiled painfully at her best friend.

"Thanks," Tracey retreated coldly as the group began to walk away.

"That's not all," She called for them. The herd stopped, they turned to look at her expectantly. Her eyes darted around the room fearfully. Who cared if there was anybody else in the room. With Millicent within earshot, no doubt, Pansy, Draco, and the rest of the school were bound to find out.

Fuck it.

"I wanted to apologize for not writing back last summer. It wasn't intentional. Even if you don't believe me," Her voice dropped to a whisper as she continued her explanation.