14. FAMILIAL CONVOLUTION

This can't keep happening. The second Jimin stirs into some kind of consciousness, he remembers where he is.

He fell asleep in Jeongguk's office and the sun is rising.

"Shit," Jimin mutters, looking at the businessman who is still fast asleep next to him. "This is not good." He does what he can to untuck himself from between Jeongguk and the back of the couch, crawling over top of him.

As soon as his bare feet hit the cold floor, he feels a revitalizing shock sent from the tip of his toes to his head. His tired but alert eyes look the entire room over to see if there are any traces of himself he could have possibly left behind last night.

The only thing he can see is his thin zip up hoodie on the floor. He picks it up and slides the sleeves back over his arms, making his way toward the large window that looks over the city.

Jimin feels incredibly powerful as he watches the cars and people walk through the streets in earnest, looking like a colony of ants. He wonders if Jeongguk feels the same way when he's up here. He wouldn't doubt it. The man is handsome and wealthy. He can probably have most things with a single snap of his finger. Jimin contemplates whether or not he could possibly be one of those things.

He sighs quietly, rubbing at the side of his neck. Nothing ever turns out the way he plans them to. Last night, he told himself he would walk away and instead ended up doing the exact opposite. His feelings have become far too loud - far too strong to suppress.

Jimin promised himself. He never thought it would be possible for him to settle. He supposes Jeongguk proved him wrong. Something he's been doing a lot of lately.

Arms snake around his waist and a chin is felt landing against his shoulder. He lets out a quiet gasp, pulling on his bottom lip to try and silence the surprised sound sneaking up on him.

"I shouldn't have fallen asleep here. This isn't good," Jimin says and his voice is slightly husky.

"The sun is just barely rising. We have time." Jeongguk's arms tighten around Jimin's torso and he pulls him in closer against his chest. "I didn't expect that from you."

Jimin's face remains flat but the curiosity bubbles inside of him. "Expect what?" he asks.

A quietness befalls the office. Jimin waits patiently for Jeongguk to answer despite how anxiously he nibbles on his bottom lip.

"Your confession last night," he finally replies.

Slowly, Jimin releases his lip. His head lowers for a reason he can't seem to understand - perhaps a feeling of shame.

"I would hardly call it a confession." He steps out of Jeongguk's arms, making his way toward the couch.

"What would you call it then?" Jeongguk doesn't trail after Jimin and rather rounds the desk, leaning against it.

Jimin shrugs. "I don't know. I meant everything that I said but I wish I had said it differently. It made me sound broken." He plays with a picture frame and he isn't really sure what he's doing - maybe trying to distract himself.

"There's nothing wrong with being broken. You said what you needed to say in that moment. There's no need to look strong for me. I know your ex-boyfriend is a complete douche with a personal agenda. If I see him again I'm gonna knock him on his ass."

The blond scoffs at this, shaking his head. "You probably don't even remember what he looks like."

"I will remember every face that ever hurts you. And I don't even need to try. Trust me, I remember what he looks like." Jeongguk's reply is so fast that Jimin barely has the time to finish his thoughts.