Chapter 4

That smells AMAZING "Aithne moaned as the smells washed over her. She could smell sausages, eggs, toast, bacon, hamburgers- anything she could ever want for lunch.

"Move it Azar, I've hungry too." Elex said with a huff, pushing Aithne (not that gently) to the side, before striding into the food court/dining room. Aithne followed him, taking in her surroundings. Tables and chairs were scattered around the room, and people were milling around, eating and talking. To the left side of the large room, a spread of food was laid out on a table, and behind that, a door lead to what must have been a kitchen.

It only took Aithne a second to push Elex aside and try not to run over to the spread of food. She couldn't remember the last time she ate. Heck, she couldn't remember anything. When she got to the table of food, she picked up a plate and filled it to the capacity with bacon, eggs and toast, with a side of sausages.

"You eat a lot. Elex announced, as he appeared beside her, carrying a plate with a large sandwich on it.  "Spare some for the others." Aithne frowned at him.

"Would you like me to punch the other side of your face?" Aithne asked. Elex instinctively reached up to his face and laid a hand protectively over his cheek. "That's what I thought." Aithne grinned as Elex turned back around, muttering something about people taking advantage of his kindness.

"Where are we sitting?" Aithne asked, eager to finally start eating. Elex ignored her, instead starting to walk away from her, heading to a table. Aithne shrugged then followed him, and the two made there way over to a table at the far end of the dining room. The table was occupied by a single person, who was hunched over the table, tracing lines on the wood with her finger. Elex sat down next to her, tapping the girl on the head as he sat. The girl looked up and turned to Elex just as Aithne sat down opposite them.

"El!" the girl exclaimed, before quickly pulling Elex into an embrace. Aithne studied the girl as the two hugged. The girl looked the same age as her, and had long red hair. She had bright blue eyes and freckles covered most of her face. She was pretty pale, and looked quite small. The two finished their embrace just as Aithne started on her second egg.

"How was work? Save any lives?" The girl asked, smiling. She turned on her stool, and noticed Aithne for the first time. "Oh, hi!" Aithne waved at her, her mouth too full of toast to talk.

"Actually, I did save someone. Lived to regret it though." Elex sulked with a pointed glare at Aithne. Aithne grinned at him, but quickly closed her mouth, remembering that food was still in her mouth. The redhead laughed, a nice sound. She turned to Aithne.

"God, dramatic." The girl said, rolling her eyes. Aithne swallowed her food, before turning to Elex.

"I never asked you to save me. Shoulda let me die in peace." Aithne replied. Elex rolled his eyes.

"I would have let you die if I knew that I would have to deal with this." Elex said with a wave of his hand in Aithne's direction. The red head grinned.

"God, you guys have such a loving relationship! Elex hardly ever sulks like this. What did you do to make his this grouchy? Punch him?" She laughed again, but when neither of the two joined her, she stopped. As she looked from Aithne's guiltily smug expression to Elex's pissed off expression, her jaw dropped open. "Oh my god! You did! You punched him!! HAHAHAH!!" The girl burst out in laughter, rocking back and forth on her chair, unable to control herself. Aithne took one look at Elex's scowling face and joined the girls contagious laughter. Elex turned away, muttering something about needing to get better friends, which sent the girls into deeper hysterics.

"Elex! I'm sorry! Its just so funny, especially after last weeks bet..." The girl chocked out in-between chuckles.

"Last weeks bet?" Aithne asked, once the two had calmed down. Elex shot a warning look at the girl, but the red head ignored it.