08

"Congratulations, Shan! You did so well! Wow, I'm so proud!" 

I was surprised when I got home and saw many food on the table like there was something to celebrate. Elyse and her mom were both standing at the edge of the table, wearing party hats. I furrowed my brows, still confused what all of these were for. 

"You passed La Salle!" Tita Erin said. "Elyse told me!" 

Oh... All this fuss just for that. I gave them a small smile before walking towards the dining table, putting my things at the side. I didn't want to make it such a big deal since I was destined to study there in the first place. Sumusunod lang ako sa plano namin ni Hiro. 

"Great job!" Tita Erin clapped when I blew the candle. May cake pa. 

"Thank you," I told her. "I'll shower." Nagpaalam kaagad ako at umakyat sa kwarto ko dahil kagagaling ko lang sa school. I appreciated the effort but she looked more excited than me. 

I took a shower and changed into my pajamas before going downstairs. I was planning to eat peacefully until I saw my dad seated at the edge of the table, ready to eat like it was his own celebration. I stopped and clenched my fist, thinking if I should still go. It made me lose appetite just by seeing his face. 

"It's just college. I'm sure Elyse can pass there, too," I heard him tell Tita Erin. "You didn't have to celebrate it." 

"Is it that hard to be happy for your son?" Tita Erin lowered the volume of her voice, afraid that I would hear them talking. 

I was about to go back to my room when Elyse suddenly called my name. I looked back and gave her a smile, then walked towards them, acting like I didn't hear their conversation just now. Umupo ako sa upuang pinakamalayo sa kaniya. It came to the point where I didn't want to breathe the same air as him. 

"Elyse, do you want to study in La Salle too?" Dad asked her. I ate quietly while listening to their usual family conversation. 

"Yes! I want to follow Kuya!" Eli looked so happy with it. Oh, my dad must be so pissed that his lovely daughter was closer to me than him. That Elyse wanted to be like me and wanted to follow me everywhere. I was sure the least he wanted to happen was seeing Elyse follow my footprints. 

"What program did you take, Shan?" Tita Erin asked.

"Psychology." I had no emotion on my face. I did not even look at her when I answered.

"After college, do you have more plans?" Good thing she didn't ask the reason why I chose that program. I would probably ruin their family dinner by talking about my dad's behavior. 

"Not yet," I said, pursing my lips. I was barely surviving. Planning that much might just disappoint me in the end. 

"Plan your life, and don't waste the chance I gave you. You wouldn't even have the chance to have a future if I didn't take you when your mother died," my dad said with a scoff.