Prologue

Book Disclaimer

Copyright ©Horackova84 2022
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form on by an electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review.

Welcome to "Always Yours".
Please comment, vote, and add to your reading list.

Maverick

"I'm leaving tonight. I need to see you."

I send the text quickly to Elise and pace my room nervously as I wait for her to reply.

I don't have that much time before Gabe will be here to get me, and I can't leave without telling her goodbye.

She means everything to me. I don't even know how I'm going to go without her.

I look out of my window one more time, but thankfully I don't see my stepfathers truck coming yet. My phone pings and I breathe a sigh of relief when I see her reply.

Lis: Oh my gosh. I'm on my way!

I grab my bag and look at my bedroom one last time, before heading into the living room. Five minutes later there's a knock on the door and I open it.

All 5'3 of Elise stands there chewing her bottom lip nervously, looking relieved when she sees me. Her curly hair is pulled up in a bun on top of her head and she's wearing one of my sweatshirts, some jeans, and an old pair of sneakers on her feet.

She's so damn beautiful.
I don't know how I'm going to survive not seeing her face every day.

I pull her inside and wrap my arms around her. I feel her hands tighten around my waist, and I only pull back when I hear her crying.

"Shh, no, please Lis. It's going to be ok. My Aunt Stephanie said I'll be safe at her place. And I'll see you again. It's only two hours away, and I'll be back this summer, I swear," I say quickly wiping away her tears.

She nods but doesn't look convinced. "It's just so unfair. He's the asshole, why can't he leave, and you stay here?" she sobs. I kiss her forehead. "Because life just isn't fair sometimes, Lis. You know that just like I do," I say trying to sound stronger than I feel.

At 17, and 15 we both have had some rough cards dealt to us. Elise lost both of her parents in a car accident when she was just a baby and has been raised by an uncle and aunt who weren't terrible people, but definitely were raising her more out of obligation than wanting her with them.

She lived with them and 5 of her younger cousins, so she became a built-in babysitter. Her uncle is in the military, so we've always had this underlining fear that she will be moving again soon.

I never knew my real dad, but I lost my mom to cancer when I was 13 years old. When I was 11, she  married a guy named Davis, who seemed nice at first, but turned out to have a nasty temper. A temper that has only escalated since my mother's death.

Hence the black eye I'm currently sporting that has kept me home from school again the past three days. I've only seen Elise and my best friend Gabe, because they know my situation.