66. Unexpectedly as Planned

This chapter is dedicated to babysofia1234. Thank you again for all your support!

As they left the school, before they dived into whatever long conversation would keep on popping up through the evening, Spike pulled his phone from his pocket. He had a message, and Tess could see his face light up as he read what was written there. Something had made him smile, and a part of her wondered if he would be so happy on receiving a message from her.

"Something good?" she asked.

"Yes," he said with a vigorous nod. "That was from Ffrances, about something I asked. I think running into her was the best luck I could have hoped for. I wanted to know if I could have a letter sent to me at her office, so my family don't see it. To avoid conflict."

"I'm sure I could have helped with that," she smiled. "Unless it's something, like, confidential."

"Not confidential, just official. A hospital is one of the few exceptions where you can use an address that isn't your home. See... I'm applying for a passport. A birthday present to myself, really. Of course, you need a person in good standing to sign to say that your picture is actually you, like a teacher, lawyer, or doctor. I asked Ffrances to help with that too. And I need a parent's signature, but I can forge Shawna's well enough, and she'll never be able to remember if it's something she signed or not. So it's like the last pieces are just slotting into place."

"Planning to go overseas?"

"No. But sometimes it would help to have one. It's just... I've got a problem I'm a bit embarrassed about, okay? I think it would be easier to talk about once it's sorted, and getting a passport is a first step."

"Awww, and I was hoping you might be going to give me a surprise visit in San Lorenzo." She was sure that a light-hearted comment should be the best thing to say here. But when she felt his hand tighten around hers, and saw the surprise, she knew she had missed something.

"You're going away?"

"I have to. They want to see me for Christmas. It's a family thing, you know? I could stay here so I'm not interrupting my studies, but they still want to see me when I haven't got an excuse to stay."

"Holidays are important," he said with a smile. "And if there was any way I could join you, you know I would. Just... for a second I worried you were leaving after all, after all the effort to stay. I feel insecure when I think that. Like I'm worrying how long you will be here. Until the end of the year? Until you graduate? Without your parents, there's less of an anchor to stay around."

"Is that something... you thought about?" Tess couldn't stop her mind racing now. She didn't exactly have her adult life all planned out; there was always time for things to change. And she had avoided thinking about a time in the future where her friends weren't all together. But she could see how she wouldn't be the only one worried when her parents moved. To Spike, and all her friends, it would be a reminder that graduation day was less than two years away. That their friends would be travelling to so many different places. Was that something that Spike was especially concerned by, worried that he'd be left without connections if he lost contact with his friends? Or was it, perhaps, just Tess that he was frightened of losing.

"No," she answered herself. "All kinds of deep thoughts come when we start talking about that, and I don't want to be navel-gazing. Not on your birthday. We should be having fun. And if I have to leave, like after high school, or after college, then you'll be leaving too. So who can be sure we won't end up walking in the same direction. Whatever path you take, there'll be someone going the same way. So don't start thinking about what might happen, or who we're going to be in the future. Remember how hard I tried to stay here, so I can be with people I care about? Even in a couple of years, I won't let go of my friends without a fight."

"Well said," he chuckled. "For someone who doesn't want to think about it, you've got a pretty deep streak."

"And you're seriously talking about time and distance coming between you?" Kim's voice cut in from the seat behind them. "When you barely even realised you're a couple?"

"We're not–" Tess started to respond automatically, and then realised that she had no idea if Spike had meant her to understand that they were. There had to be a better way to express it. "...Not quite sure what we are yet."

Then the seriousness evaporated completely, as someone quoted an iconic line from some movie they'd seen a couple of years back, and that set someone else off, riffing on their shared experience. Tess wasn't sure afterwards who had started it; it could have been Spike with his incredible talent for doing all the voices, but whoever it was she was grateful. There was a limit to how much time they could spend talking about things they had no answer to, and a protracted volley of memes was precisely the right break.

"... but before I kill you, Mister Bond, I must show you a midget having a–"

"Iris Lane!"

"No, pretty sure it's a midget."

"No, Iris Lane. We're here!" Kim pointed out of the bus window, and they could see the signs coming up. This wasn't where they had got off the bus the last time Tess came here, but Kim probably knew the area better. She was already gathering up her bags, and Tess and Spike quickly followed. They did their best not to bang into anyone else as they ran for the door, and then disembarked to the sound of the doors hissing closed behind them. As if there was any doubt they were in the right place, Evan was leaning against the nearest wall.

"Missed you," he said.

"Not as much as I missed you."

"Sure? I missed you about sixty-thousand times."

"Then you're a lousy shot. Anyway... I think we were going to hit Pasta Buffet. Should be just enough time before the movie, right?"

"Yeah," Tess nodded. "I'm looking forward to it so much."

"Well..." Evan mumbled, and for a moment looked like he was either too embarrassed to speak, or had forgotten what he intended to say. Then he beckoned Kim to one side, and whispered something which made her laugh for a moment. She kept on smiling, but there were signs that there was a big question in there somewhere.

"Okay," Kim nodded, and turned back to Tess. "Okay guys, think we might have a change of plan, if you don't mind too badly. Evan's parents have been making plans. They want to meet me, he says. And he skimmed over the message where I said this was a double date, so he–"

"It's not a date!" Tess's embarrassment answered for her, before her brain could get a word in.

"Oh, yeah. But they're making dinner for us, so it would be rude to back out now. So... would you mind terribly if the two of us skip the Buffet? We'll try to catch you later, right? And if not, enjoy the movie. We can do this next time."

"Oh, sure," Tess nodded. "I don't want to get in the way of your plans. Enjoy your dinner, right? And look forward to next time."

There were more than the usual number of embarrassed coughs as the planned party split up and began to walk in opposite directions; and then even more embarrassment as Evan ran over to tell Spike and Tess that they were about to take the wrong path. But after a little back-and-forth there were two groups of two, heading off towards two meals that were sure to have moments of awkwardness, but also enough acceptance to make all the effort worthwhile.