Born Too Soon, But Loved Nonetheless

Harry: 48
Auggie: 27
Emryn: 31

March 9th 2042 (19 weeks pregnant)

5:00 pm

She had been having cramps for a few hours before she realized something was wrong, she knew they weren't miscarriage cramps. They were different. These started in her back and wrapped around to her stomach where they'd tighten and then eventually lessen, rolling down her thighs and uterus.

She had a gut feeling that something was wrong, these cramps felt vaguely familiar. Vaguely familiar to her labor with Drew. But these couldn't be contractions? She's only 19 weeks. They can't be contractions.

She didn't want them to keep happening, so she decided to lay down for a bit. She was sure it was nothing. Just a few growing pains, she'd have them before and Darcy had received a few scared sh*tless phone calls in the middle of the night for Auggie and her, begging her to meet them at her clinic to listen to the baby's heartbeat and check up on them, and of course, Darcy assured them that their baby was growing just fine, but nonetheless because of the amazing sister she is, would get up at those unspeakable hours of the night just to do an ultrasound for her sister and brother so they could sleep easy for the rest of the night.

Because their baby was okay. And she hopes to everything that they're still okay.

She gives her bump a rub, cradling one hand under it as she blows out a deep breath, one of the cramps running through her as she puffs out her cheeks, looking down at her little bump. She's never been so happy to have a belly in her entire life.

Her feet carry her down the hall from the living room where she was sitting on the couch, editing a few photos from her most recent shoot, a newborn shoot with a mum and her baby that made her even more excited, if possible, for her own little baby.

She waddles down the hall, checking her phone to make sure Auggie hasn't texted her, but she knows he won't. He's been in Japan for two days now for a work trip, and she knows because of the time change he's still asleep, but still it would calm her heart a little bit to be able to talk to him.

But, she also doesn't want to talk to him because the last thing she wants to do is worry him, especially since he's so far away and wouldn't be able to do anything. She's sure it's nothing. It's gotta be nothing.

She climbs onto the bed on her side and lays on her side, putting a pillow in between her legs to make herself more comfortable, placing her hand on the side of her bump and rubbing it lovingly as she closes her eyes and tries to focus on breasting.

That's all she needs to do: just breathe. Just breathe and in a few hours when Auggie's awake she can call him and hear his voice. Just breathe and in a few hours if things haven't gotten better she can call Darcy. Just breathe and think about the ultrasound she had a few days ago. Just breathe and remember what her little baby looked like on the screen. Just breathe and imagine what they'll look like in her arms.

Just breathe and trust that this pregnancy will continue to be different than the other ten.

***

7:14 pm

She did fall asleep, gratefully, and the cramps weren't bad enough to wake her up. Well, that is until she gets a specific cramp that makes her whimper awake, her hand immediately going to the side of her bump.

"Oh wow, ow,"Emryn hisses, sucking in a tight breath as her eyebrows pinch together, a whimper forming at her lips as she rubs the side of her bump that's gone taunt. "F*cking hell..."

She waits till the spasm stops, only then does she realize how tightly she was clenching her entire lower half, before she sits up carefully, her legs hanging over the side of the bed with both of her hands on her bump, rubbing it soothingly as she blows out a deep breath.