xvi. Birthday

생일

생일

"I STILL CAN'T get over it, Minnie," whined Bitna from across the table in the busy cafeteria. "His arm was around my shoulders."

Mina was currently in the midst of hearing Bitna's grand story about the field day a few days before when she and Taehyung were partners for the famous three-legged race. That day was unforgettable for Mina, especially because of the close proximity she shared with Jungkook, not once, but two times.

"And we won! I for sure thought that I was going to trip on my feet and make us eat dirt," Bitna scoffed as she took a bite of her fried rice on her lunch tray.

"Meanwhile, I definitely made Jungkook eat dirt," Mina sighed, recalling when she fell during the race and took him down with her onto the grass.

Bitna seethed in thought, squinting her eyes. "I swear, I was going to kill Heejin right then and there. I would have to marry Taehyung in prison."

"Hey, guys!" A familiar voice startled the two, especially Bitna who hoped this person didn't hear her last sentence. Their eyes darted to the source, seeing Jungkook walking up to their table with Namjoon.

"Jungkook! Namjoon! What's up?" Bitna nervously chuckled, while Mina froze in her seat at the sight of Jungkook. He somehow appeared to be even more handsome that day, his lengthening hair falling over his forehead.

"I'm having a birthday party tonight, and was wondering if you guys would like to come?" Jungkook asked, raising his eyebrows slightly.

"Today's your birthday?" Bitna asked, surprised. Mina slightly panicked from his words, completely unaware that his birthday was nearing at all and she was especially worried that she didn't give him a gift. She was head over heels in love with him and she didn't give him a gift!

"It's actually tomorrow, but my parents are taking me out to dinner. So my party is tonight, at my parents' restaurant, Bloom. It would be really cool if you guys could be there," Jungkook clasped his hands together, looking at them expectantly.

Mina's heart jumped in excitement at the thought of attending his party, at his parents' restaurant. However, what lurked in her mind was the reminder that her own parent was a very strict one, who wouldn't even let her go to a grocery store if she asked.

"I-I'm sorry, Jungkook," Mina sent him a sad smile, her heart aching as she watched his expression falter for a second. "I doubt my father would let me."

"Oh, that's a bummer," Jungkook frowned a bit, glancing toward Bitna hopefully.

"I'll ask my parents," she answered, nodding to him reassuringly.

"Okay, I'll see you around then," he spoke up, sending a smile mostly for Mina before walking away. Namjoon was about to follow until he stopped in his tracks, turning his head to look at Mina timidly.