Should have been you • w.m.

[Reader...]

It's been two years since Natasha went to Vormir. Two years since I finally got Yelena back. Two years since Yelena lost her favorite sister.

I invited Yelena out for dinner, Wanda was at home in our house waiting for me. She pushed me to do this, to try to heal things with my sister.

Yelena was always jealous of me, Natasha and I grew up closer in age, she was always angry when I got Natasha out but I stayed for her. I couldn't get them both out, not in time. So instead of leaving with Nat like Nat wanted, i stayed, i snuck back in and watched over Yelena as best as I could. But I was punished every week Natasha didn't come back until I finally left as well.

Yelena resented me for allowing Nat to leave, I wasn't going to survive in the red room anyways with the things Dreykov was doing to ensure I learned my lesson. I took the punishment for both Yelena and Natasha. Dreykov made me a deal that if I endured a beating every week, twice a week, he wouldn't touch a hair on Yelena's head. So I did.

I endured the beatings for Yelena, and I took the punishments of Natasha.

"So, what do you want?" Yelena asked bitterly.

"I just wanted to see how you are, spend some time with my sister-"

"You aren't my sister." She spat back

"Yelena, i know you are angry at me for Nat-"

"Shut up."

"She wouldn't want us to be so parted-"

"I don't care, you had your choices. So did she, and now, I have mine."

"I'm happy for you."

"I don't care." She glared at me

"Will you ever forgive me for Nat?"

"Should I? Do you think you deserve it? Because of you, Natalia joined the Avengers and look where that got her."

"It got her a family she wanted-"

"It got her at the bottom of Vormir!" She yelled loudly, the table shaking from her fist slamming onto it, causing everyone to look at our table. I look around awkwardly.

"I'm sorry..."

"I don't care, I don't want your apologies. It should have been you." She says

"It should have." I shrug, finally agreeing with her.

"Ha. We finally agree on something."

"Maybe if I would have escaped instead of her like she planned, I wouldn't have endured the beatings for the both of you. It would have been her, maybe if I would have left, I would have joined the Avengers, I would have been at the bottom of Vormir instead of her. Is that what you want to hear Yelena? That it should have been me. I admit it! Because if it was me, you would be so much happier. It wouldn't be you and me sitting here right now, it'd be you and your favorite sister." I seethed.

"Y/n..." she says guiltily

"No. Because I have known it since we were kids, you wished it was only you and Tash. I'm sorry I ever came into your little family, but I'll be dammed if I let you ruin mine." I say, she looks at me confused.

"Wanda and i are planning for a child, i wanted to come here to tell you. But since you are so stuck in the past, you can live there for all I care." I say getting up and walking out.

I drive home to see my beautiful girlfriend sitting on the porch waiting for me. She smiles then sees the tears on my face, she stands up slowly as I walk up to the porch. I let out a sob as her hands make their way to my cheeks, she pushes my head onto her shoulder and I cry.