Spin-off: Day 56 I

Author's Note: I am terribly sorry for the delay. Been trying to balance my time lately, ughh. I'm dying TTnTT Anyway, I had to edit some parts of this one before I was finally satisfied lool. Well, can't afford to give you a half-assed chapter, guys. You awesome people deserve so much better :)

---

Spin-off: We Might As Well Be Strangers (Part I)

Looking but not really seeing, hearing but not really listening, Kenly Eah Shinomiya was like a body without a soul as she sat in front of her mother's coffin. Her midnight black, knee-length dress seemed like a representation of the future that awaits her and her sister.

Where do we go from here?

It was a question that she couldn't answer. It was a puzzle she couldn't solve. A future without her mother any longer, she didn't even know where to begin imagining.

How would she start again?

How would they ever start again without the only person who gives them strength and inspiration?

She was everything they had.

They had..

A whimper slipped past her lips as tears began to stream down to her pallid cheeks once again. Fresh memories of her dying mother were tormenting her heart from within.

"I love you, Kenny. I always will.."

She shut her eyes tightly closed, grinding her teeth together to keep her sobs at bay. She couldn't stop blaming herself for what happened. If it wasn't because of her, their mother wouldn't have been lying cold and lifeless inside that coffin.

It was all her fault, she kept on convincing herself.

"Kenly.."

Hearing that voice made her snap her eyes wide open, immediately turning to look at the old man standing behind her -- together with her sister and half older brother from America. "D-Dad.."

Dave Hopper gave her youngest child a worried, sympathetic look. "I'm sorry. I truly am, dear."

"What are you doing here? Did you bring your wife with you?" She narrowed her swollen eyes into a glare then stood up from her seat. "If not then tell her to celebrate!"

All pairs of eyes inside the mortuary immediately darted to them because of the scene she was making, but she didn't even care. What's there to worry about? She already lost everything.

Everything was gone..

"Kenny, don't say that!" Karylle reprimanded.

"What?" She snapped furiously, glancing at her sister. "Isn't this what she wanted?!"

Then without hearing one more word from them, she strode towards the exit --- ignoring their calls and worried stares. After making sure that she was out of sight, she leaned her back against the concrete wall and cried.

It was so painful..

She couldn't take it anymore, everything was just too much for her to handle. It all happened so fast and she wasn't ready for any of it.

She never was..

"Eah?" Kasamatsu Yukio, who just arrived, wondered when he saw her there alone. He was still wearing his school uniform with his bag on one hand. He didn't have enough time to go home and change into a pair of decent clothes because right after their basketball practice, he rushed to the funeral chapel to pay his respect and to check on Ken. "What are you doing--"