The fair

"The Book of Fairies is not a touchstone after which the fae folk lives, although it should be. It's more of a code of honour. A set of moral laws that all fairies should be guided by, "Thyme's strong voice echoed clearly in the large meeting room at the base of the castle.

Thyme was a demanding teacher. Unlike Rosemary and Parsley, who preferred to teach surrounded by plants, creatures, and sensations of all sorts, Thyme's method of teaching was based on strict rules that his students did not have to deviate from. Any form of distraction was annihilated. That is why he had chosen the large meeting room in which there was only a long stone table with twelve chairs made of the same hard, cold stone. Nothing else.

His loud voice hit the high, bare walls and resonated, reinforcing his words. It was as if he had a chorus of teachers repeating every word that came out of his mouth. Even the flames of the torches that lit up the room trembled at his voice.

Thyme was talking, crossing the length of the room from one end to the other with a big, determined pace. Sitting at the long table, Ragnall, Oona, Ferry, and Matilda were all quietly listening, not daring to move. Even Oona was calm and watched Thyme with wide eyes. She was a little too close to Ferry, and Ferry could smell the fresh scent of wildflowers that always accompanied her. At some distance, to his right, there was Matilda. Ferry watched her out of the corner of his eye from time to time as Thyme turned his back. The girl sat upright and a little tense, looking at Thyme intently. From time to time, she frowned, and Ferry could tell she didn't quite agree with what she was learning. But knowing her there, so close to him and yet far away, made him feel happy and miserable at the same time.

"Because fae people have magical powers," continued Thyme, "the Wise had to find ways to keep their magic under control. These are the rules that guide us to live a just, honorable life, in peace and good understanding between us and all the creatures and beasts around us. Some fairies choose not to follow them," he said, staring into Oona's eyes, and the redhead fairy looked back at him without blinking, with the same intensity. "But in this world, in Akna, the Book of Fairies is sacred. Of course, you can choose not to follow them,  but you have to expect consequences, " he said, looking at each one. "Because sooner or later fate will find a way to punish you. So, without further ado, you should know the five rules of the Book. Raghnall, could you tell everyone, please? " he addressed the young elf, who shuddered at the sound of his own name.

Ragh stood up, straight and proud as if he were at some parade, cleared his throat, then began to recite loud and clear in front of his small but attentive audience.

"Rule number one: a fairy must not hurt another fairy by magical means unless they arein danger of being injured themselves. Rule number two: a fairy must not hide in the shelter of the power of being invisible in order to follow another fairy from the shadows unless it is for the good of many. Rule number three: a fae must not use the magical power upon another fae if they don't have equal powers. Rule number four: don't make a promise unless you keep it or terrible wrath will fall upon you. Rule number five: debts must always be repaid. "

Then Ragnall took a deep breath, proud as a child reciting a poem by heart.

"Thank you, Ragnall," Thyme said. "As you can see, the Book refers to all 300 races of fairies, whatever they may be. Solacers, Amalghams, Dryads, Gnomes, Goblins... Because Akna obeys the laws of the Book of Fairies, all fairies living here, permanently or temporarily, must obey our laws. "

"I don't agree," Ferry heard Matilda's clear voice beside him, and she smiled to himself at the thought that she hadn't changed much since she had come to Akna. She remained the same free and untamed spirit. "I think these rules were made only in favour of fairies. So a fairy can't hurt another fairy by magic, but can they hurt another being? Let's say... a human? "