43: Luck

Lilac somehow knew something happened right after Ki-Ryeong went back in Seoul. Her instincts tell her so, and she had always, always trusted it. Perhaps it comes with living in another country without parental company, so she only had herself to believe. Fortunately, it never once failed her.

She guessed the guy might've had an epiphany about their relationship, because the day after he left China, she received a text from him saying that he might be busier the coming days. And indeed, a week passed without any message nor call from him.

She didn't have time to act all heartbroken and beg for his explanation, or maybe, she just won't let herself be that kind of girlfriend. Instead, she chose to focus on her job and finish it as soon as possible so she could go home quicker, face that asshole, and give him a piece of her mind. 

Is she angry? No. That's too tiring. Disappointed? Yes, probably that's what she's feeling. She's definitely dismayed by how Kio is handling everything. He could've just told her the truth.

Did he realize that he hasn't gotten over his ex? Fine, she'll understand. Did he realize he can't commit to her fully yet? Good, then let's end this once and for all. Did he need more time to think everything through? Okay, she can wait. 

It's not like they've already been together for years. At least, he decided to be true to himself as early as now and they can avoid any more emotional damage on each other.

But why? Why did he promise to fight against the world when he'll end up retreating so easily? Why does she find herself tearing up every night whenever she's reminded of him? Why is he always in her dreams, doing romantic stuff she never even wished for? 

If he's doubting their relationship, then can he just walk away quietly? Can they just separate amicably, so she can go back to how she used to live before him?

"That's quite a deep sigh you let out," the old man beside her suddenly commented.

She was supposed to fly in First Class, but she can't wait for another hour to get on the plane. When she saw that there's an available seat on Business Class, the flight prior, she hurriedly booked it. She'll just face the company's punishment tomorrow, it's not like she's the one who always breaks the rules—it's clearly Jada.

So now she's here, seated beside a European-looking man with graying hair and mustache. He kinda looks like those characters in Disney movies who are either an Italian chef or the neighborhood's friendly grandpa. She adjusted her bucket hat and mask, so she could at least look straight into his eyes, even though her face is half-covered.

"I just thought of someone..." she sadly smiled behind the mask.

"He must have done something to make you sad."

She was quite shocked that he easily guessed that this is in fact, caused by a boy. "He's just all talk, no actions. I'm quite disappointed, honestly. But it was my choice to take the risk, so I should take the blame too. We should have waited a bit longer."

The man chuckled, "and if you waited a bit longer, you might regret not taking the risk sooner. Don't you think this is better?"

"I guess so..." she absentmindedly looked outside and stared at the clouds. "At least, I learned what love's supposed to feel like, thanks to him." She then turned to her seatmate, "thank you, Mister...?"

"Elius Spencer," the man offered his hand which she readily took.

Instead of introducing herself back, she felt a sense of familiarity and tilted her head. "I think I heard that name before, I just can't remember when."

Mr. Spencer smiled, "do you believe in aliens?"

°.•⏳.°•