Unwanted Guests

Dawn reflected its pale orange glow in pastel streaks across the sky. 

You had startled awake from terrible dreams of screaming and cracks, your limbs sore and cold from sleeping on the hard earth. Where am I?  For a panicked moment, you tensely glanced around and struggled to sit up. 

Camilo's arm draped heavily over your shoulders. You relaxed and sunk back onto the blanket. Carefully, so you wouldn't wake him, you rested your chin on your hands and studied his face. 

Last night was perfect, you wistfully thought, wishing you could trace a finger along his cheek without waking him. 

Camilo was slowly breathing in and out, his eyes closed underneath long, dark eyelashes. 

"Y'know, (y/n), it's creepy to watch people while they sleep," Camilo sleepily mumbled, startling you.

"Oh. Sorry," you sheepishly apologized as his round, dark eyes lazily flickered open. 

"S'okay." He yawned with a chuckle. You stretched your stiff arms. 

"Time to go back," you reluctantly said, rolling up the blanket and the pillows. Camilo's shoulders drooped. 

"Don't be so hard on Mirabel." Camilo hesitantly suggested on the walk back. "She's always felt like she isn't good enough for the family..." He broke off with a shrug. "Maybe she thinks she can prove something by showing our abuela where her loyalties lie." 

You didn't respond. You knew he was right, but you didn't feel ready to forgive somebody who hadn't even apologized. 

Your thoughts gloomily swirled like the clouds of fog down in the village the closer you became. Reality wouldn't stay locked out forever. Concerned by your silence, Camilo distracted you with light anecdotes about Luisa's strange dinner guest, an ugly flower Isabella had created, and mishaps in the preparations for Alma's party in 4 days. 

"Here we are," Camilo cheekily declared when you stepped into your backyard. "In one piece, as promised." 

You started up the ladder, but he caught your wrist in his hand. His frown was light and sympathetic. 

"Are you gonna be okay?" 

His honest question caught you off guard. You breathed out. "I don't know. I don't know who to trust anymore." 

"Don't worry. I'm gonna be there tomorrow," He seriously assured you. "I promise." With a stab of guilt, you realized that he thought that you had included him in your accusation. 

"See you tomorrow," You said, forcing a brave smile. "Bye, Camilo." 

You climbed back inside the window. The second your feet hit the ground, you felt something was off. It was around 5am. Too early for guests. So why did you hear the shuffling of cautious footsteps? 

Distrustfully, you slipped through the door of your room and slunk down the stairs. 

Your breath caught. 

Around ten people huddled around your kitchen table, wildly pointing and gravely nodding. A paper with a rough sketch of a house was splayed out over the table like a battle plan. 

There was no talking. Nothing Dolores could hear. Only writing.