Chapter 18

"Meet you at break" Mick said as he drops Madeline off at the Mcalren pitwall as he continues to walk to his team. Madeline nods in answer. 

She can see Lando is talking to someone at the pitwall with Daniel, she stands patiently listening  in. "I do not care, Will , we can not take another penalty this weekend!" Lando doesn't seem like he is in the best of moods. "Lando, if it needs to be fixed, it needs to be fixed mate, you can't run the car if the engine isn't at its potential" you could tell his race engineer wasn't having any of it with Lando. They do tend to have the best relationship so if anyone can tell Lando what's best for him it will be Will. " If I do not finish above Carlos, I am going to loose the positioning Will" Will looks back at the board, "Lando, we need damage limitation, and a good car for the next races" Lando walks off rubbing his face in frustration not letting Lando finish.

"What is wrong with the engine?" Madeline asks . Lando looks back at her rolls his eyes and continues rubbing his face. "The engine has a fault with the pneumatic values" Lando says as he makes his way back over. "The pressure it hitting closer to 10% as he drives, we could cope if it was to stay under the 10. But he has to qualify today on this engine, to then be able to change it for the main race, but I am trying to say if we were to change it for qualifying..." Lando is shaking his head. "But we had plan that we would need to be changing the engine anyway at a later date, we only get so" Madeline looks over at the sheets on the side. "Yes you only get so many per season, but you are able to fix this before qualifying?" She looks over to see Daniel and Will shake their heads. "Not that we can come up with that will be in time, as we would have to take the whole engine out and also have a member of the FIA there to see and hear what we are going to do to ensure regulations" Madeline looks over at Lando. "If you drive the car Lando the engine could combust if not fixed, and the percentage of air being too much, 10% or whatever wWill has said. But if you were to try and fix it, I would suggest replacing the cylinders that are creating the push, it seems like they are not a correct fit? or at least, not the correct cylinders that should be used in the engine. Mercedes engines, this year don't seem reliable as much as they did last" Madeline picks up her name tag off the side, and the camera with the sticky note on it with her name from underneath. "Now, I have 2 hours to be able to take some nice shots of you driving whether that be a new engine or one with new cylinders " 

Will looks at Madeline shocked at what she has come up with . He knows it is a good idea, and something that could do in the short amount of time that they have before qualifying . "May I ask who you are?" Madeline smiles and puts out her hand. "Call me Maddy. I am here on behalf of the Mclaren socials" Will smiles and shakes her hand. "Will" Maddy winks. "Nice to meet you Will" Riccardo steps in front to introduce himself, but Madeline already acknowledges him and shakes his hand.  "I will be taking a trip over to the other side. I already know what corners will make a good shot. " Madeline goes to walk off smiling. Lando grabs her by the arm. "May I walk you over?" Madeline rolls her eyes. "You going to let me know the social password?" Lando smiles "Well, if i said that would make it cheating. " Madeline looks at his face. His smile in the day time was so much more beautiful and warming than it was in the dark. "Lando, mate we need to speak to the garage, I think we are going to take Maddys Idea." Lando not breaking eye contact with her. "I will give you one more clue. My engineer" Lando goes to turn round and Madeline is still confused. "Engineer is 8 words" Lando shakes his head and continues to walk off and follows Will back into the garage. Madeline grabs her note book out of her bag and continues to walk.

LANDO POV

"Who is this Maddy?" Will asks Lando as he has just caught up with him. "She clearly knows her stuff for someone who only does your socials" Lando slightly smiles. "She used to do engineering type stuff, I don't know too much. Just be glad she didn't suggest  gummybear as a solution" Lando finds what he said funny to himself, but Will was still interested in what was going in. "Are you seeing her" Lando takes a step back. "no no no, she just wants the password to get back into my socials" Will nods lightly . "Right ok ." , "But serious Lan , if it wasn't for her idea, you may be having a new engine right now having to last you the rest of the season" Lando sees how serious Will is. "Yeah , I know"

********

They re both stood in the garage , as they close the lid to the engine . "We should be all good to go. Nice solution to the problem" Zak Brown enters the garage. "Right, lets get everyone in their cars and get going" Zak pulls Will to the side asking a few questions as Lando slips on his helmet and gets ready into his kart.

As he sits in his kart he closes his eyes, and he is taken back to last night. It was a first time in awhile since he had been so calm , chilled and happy. He remises the smells of the chlorine in the pool mixed with her perfume. "Radio Check" through his radio he hears Will. "Radio Check" Lando replies.