settling in pt. 2

A bright light shined through Sally's eyelids as she came back to reality, the lights seemed to yell at her and her hands, which had been resting at her sides, flung to her eyes to try and silence her pulsing brain. It only worked a little and the worried voices surrounding her weren't helping, to be honest, she was getting a bit annoyed by them. That only increased by the minute as the voices added to the already hurting headache. The voices grew louder and Sally got extremely annoyed with them, once she got up a good amount of confidence, she flung her hands to the hard bed she was laying on and propped herself up while popping her eyes open and yelling at whoever was making that piercing noise. 

"WOULD YOU SHUT UP!!!"

                     As her eyes adjusted to the bright light that was pulsating throughout the room, she noticed a dark shape that looked a bit like a human, though it was levitation in mid-air. Sally stopped yelling and looked confusingly at the floating humanoid figure in front of her. As soon as her anger had turned to confusion, the figure dropped to the ground with a thud. Her vision had mostly cleared and her headache was starting to go away, though the constant pulsing of her brain was still a constant reminder. As her vision fully adjusted to the light, she realized that the humanoid figure was a human, and not only that, it was the girl that she had passed on her way to the experiment lab. 

                     Sally immediately felt bad and ran toward the girl, the girl flinched backward a little making Sally stop in her tracks and just stand there. Sally had been flinched before, considering her time in the red room, she had been flinched at a lot, but it was different this time. Every move that Sally ever made was carefully calculated and perfect when she was in the Red Room. Every step and swing, turn and throw, it was all calculated exactly to fit what the Red Room wanted out of her. She had to do this to stay alive, and she was pretty good at it too.  This was the first time in a very long time, and possibly forever, that she had ever acted on instinct. This girl didn't deserve that, not that anyone that Sally had hurt before did, but it was still different somehow. 

                Sally came back to her senses after a few seconds, and immediately put up her emotional wall that she kept up most of the time. The girl on the floor must have noticed the change in attitude, as well as the brief series of emotions that flashed over Sally's eyes. The girl looked less panicked, and more sympathetic, almost as if she had been through the same thing. The girl on the floor reached out a hand toward Sally, and Sally quickly got the clue and helped the girl up. 

                  "I'm so sorry, I don't know what just happened, I didn't mean to hurt you", Sally quickly rambled on as the girl gave her a warm and weirdly comforting hug. Sally could not remember the last time someone had hugged her, and the feeling that someone cared for her had been nonexistent for the longest time. The shock of human touch had made the little girl immediately break down her walls, tears trickled down her cheeks and made a wet spot on the shirt that the girl was wearing. Sally was having an especially hard time putting her emotional walls back up, it could be the drugs, or maybe just pure exhaustion, but she had been through similar tests in the Red Room, why was it so different now? Why could this stranger break her?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Wanda's pov- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

                      The girl who had passed us earlier was roughly shoved into my room with me. She fell to the floor and was obviously drugged, because when she got back up she was running into walls, and falling back down, a considerable amount of times. To be honest, I was a bit worried about her safety. I eventually got up and helped her to the bed that I was sitting on earlier. As soon as she was laying down she fell asleep, and I figured this would be a great time to try and learn something about her. I put my hands on either side of her head and slowly felt my mind slip into hers. It was a bit harder than usual, but I could tell that the drugs were still affecting her by how her mind was more open than I had expected. 

                                   *slight trigger warning*

                       Flashes of memories swept through the girl's mind as I read it. There was a teen that would show up in many of her memories, this girl had bright red hair and was very close to the girl unconscious on my bed. Some memories were just the sound of a voice, one name seemed to be said a significant amount and so I figured it was her name, Sally. The girl close to Sally in so many of her memories, would tell her stories and sing songs to her in a hushed voice. All of these stories or songs were in a language that I didn't know, though some words were similar to words I knew, so I pieced together some fraises. They would often talk about how their day was going, or how life was when they were younger, specific descriptions were something I didn't understand, but I at least understood the topic.   

                      The mood of the memories changed quickly, with the breaking noise of what sounded like a glass breaking. Suddenly the girl that Sally hung out with wasn't in the picture, and instead, there was another redhead, but this girl was much younger and had rounder facial features. This girl didn't look kind at all and stood opposite Sally with shattered glass at her feet. Her expression changed suddenly and she started fake crying with the most dramatic wailing known to man. There were a few flashes of Sally's childhood and it was not good, some flashes were of the hours she spent locked in her room. Others were on hot summer days when she laid in the shady parts of her room, too hot and tired to even move. I never thought that a family could not care for their child so much before. 

                     The scene changed again and Sally was in a ballet room of some sort, though the walls looked almost ghostly. Sally went through movements for a dance that was not easy at all. She went over these movements over and over again and I was starting to wonder if it would ever stop. My question was soon answered when the music abruptly stopped and all of the girls that were dancing finished their set, and came to a full stop, before turning towards a strict-looking woman at the front of the room. The woman walked between the girls, and from time to time would poke one, this went on until she reached a girl that was a bit shorter than me, the woman stomped at her and simply turned away. Two men came in and hit the girl, before dragging her out, the girl was screaming and crying, but all the girls stayed silent. After they left, the woman gave the girls a slight nod and they started to dance again as if nothing had happened. some more memories came and went of this place. Screens with cartoons playing, and kids reciting a movie script in English, totally in sync. 

                        As I came back to reality, I realized that I was in tears. This poor girl had been through so much, at such a young age. I could tell that she was starting to wake up so I stood on the other side of the room, she was talking about something, and she seemed quite mad about it. I tried to make her feel better by introducing myself and cracking a few jokes, though nothing worked. I don't know why but I felt a special connection with this girl, so I tried to strike up a conversation and started asking why she was so upset. 

"WOULD YOU SHUT UP"

               Out of nowhere I was flung to the wall across from her and lifted into mid-air. I could see the panic in her eyes, though she quickly covered it up. When she let me down I could hear her stammer a sorry, but I wasn't too worried about it, I held out my hand and she helped me up. I could tell that she had been through a lot. I hugged her tight, like one of the hugs my mom used to give me, and rubbed her back, trying to comfort her. I felt my shirt get slightly wet and I figured that she had started crying. I promised myself then and there that I wouldn't let anything or anyone ever hurt Sally ever again.