Chapter 7

When Lord Advent took sleeping Emma to his room, he had a hard time falling asleep next to her. He was too aware of her. She was on her side facing him, her arms and legs sprawled over him. She smelled of apples. He closed his eyes and started counting to thousand in French. When that was over he switched to German.

He woke up to find her looking at him oddly. He realised he had her in a tight hug and stood up in a hurry.

'Are you hungry?' he blurted, anything to get way from here. 

There was a sudden craving for apple pie. It was inappropriate to crave for apple pie or rather Miss. Zennor's irresistible apple fragrance. He wondered why he was still thinking of her as Miss. Zennor; she was Mrs. Advent now.

He felt guilty for accepting Captain Zennor's request. Amelia's words came echoing in his mind, 'Don't tell me you are going to make me call her 'Mother', she is barely older than me.'

He never considered remarriage after Elana, even if he did he wouldn't have married someone as young as Miss. Zennor. The embarrassment is never going to fade. While he dwelled deeper into his thoughts, that was when he heard her scream.

Lord Advent ran into his room to find Emma jumping up and down, and waving her dressing robe. She was shouting something about a spider being on her back. He was sure her movements were driving the spider further down, not out.

It had bitten her, he pulled her robes down her back, it was a large spider. He wasn't sure whether it was poisonous, but she still wouldn't stop moving. He grabbed her with one hand and with the other batted the spider away.

She moaned, the sound resonated with his core. He felt himself hardening. When he looked up, she was almost naked, her hands were above her head making her breasts pushed up. Her long legs were a feast to his eyes.

His erection grew even harder. He tried to take his hands off her, but his hands wouldn't move. He kept ogling her. Her breathing hitched and so did his.

The door opened; Mrs. Dennis, Mary and another maid entered carrying boxes. Someone gasped. He heard the boxes being dropped to the ground, mumbled apologies and the door closing behind.

He jumped back while she pulled her robes down to the proper position. Mumbling some nonsense Lord Advent fled the room.

Mrs. Dennis was rather red and the other two were giggling as he exited the room. He always hated being the object of gossip. Now he had just fueled the flames.

He didn't want to return to his room and face Emma. Image of her naked and voluptuous body filled his mind, he almost came.

'What kind of a man am I, lusting over her! I thought I had better control over these things,' he reprimanded himself.

He had not lain with a woman for nearly a decade. But all he wanted now was to bury himself in her. God! She was the woman a man would want to come home to.

Slapping himself mentally, he resolved to stay away from her.

Emma looked at the mirror and some stranger was staring back at her

Emma looked at the mirror and some stranger was staring back at her. She was distracted the whole time the maids helped her dress.

She wore a dark blue dress and her hair was tied up in matching lace. It complimented her dark hair, which was pulled up in an elegant bun. Emma thanked Mrs. Dennis for the dress and she smiled back genuinely.

Lord Advent was waiting for her outside the dining room, his three daughters were already seated. He helped her to a chair before taking a seat. He introduced his daughters. Amelia was examining her nails the whole time. Amanda and Amy gave Emma an uncertain smile.

Amelia stood up saying, 'Now that I have fulfilled my obligation, I am not hungry.'

Amelia looked at Amanda, who stood up immediately looking scared. When Amy didn't get up Amelia glared at her.

Amy mumbled, '-but I am hungry!' Yet, she stood up and followed her sisters out.

Lord Advent was livid, he shouted, 'Come back here Amelia!' She didn't; Lord Advent stood up and followed them out.

'If you don't eat here, you will not be getting dinner.'

Amelia left pulling both her sisters along with her, ignoring Lord Advent completely.

'Mrs. Dennis,' boomed Lord Advent.

'Yes, Your Grace.'

'I forbid you from giving them any food tonight.'

Emma felt horrible. One look at his face broke her heart, she didn't deserve to eat while his daughters starved. Emma's presence in his life made it nothing but miserable.

Keeping her head down Emma mumbled, 'I am not hungry, maybe I should-' but he replied before she could complete, 'So, you are going to insult me as well?'

'No! No! I didn't mean to. I am sorry.'

He didn't say anything.

'I am sorry, it's my fault,' she mumbled again.

'You don't have to apologize for Amelia's behaviour,' his voice was curt.

Dinner was served in courses. Emma couldn't eat. She had caused his daughters to go to bed hungry. Lord Advent didn't eat either.

'Mrs. Dennis, please have someone take dinner to their rooms and make sure Amy eats. We will stay in the guest room till the Duchess' chamber is cleaned. Please show Emma to the room,' said Lord Advent in a low voice and left.

Mrs. Dennis took Emma to the guest room. Family rooms were on the first floor and the guest rooms were on the second floor. Amelia had left her food untouched at her door.

Seeing Emma's dejected face Mrs. Dennis said, 'They are sweet kids, they just miss their mother and are acting out.'

'I understand, our marriage must have come as a shock to them.'

Even though Emma didn't want to do it, she took a healthy dose of laudanum before going to bed. She didn't want to burden Lord Advent anymore.