Chapter 12

Toren stared at the three people in the room, aside from Michael's constant presence at his side. Something he was starting to get used to.
Nick and his wife, Victoria, were there along with Estella. Victoria held a vase of flowers cradled in her arms and the sweetest smile gracing her features. Nick had a more relaxed posture while Estella was hovering near the foot of the bed.

"Barely here a week and this happens." Nick was saying. "Not exactly a warm welcome."

"You guys haven't had a case like this in years. Miller Town has been so peaceful," Estella said softly.

"How are you, sweety? Are they treating you well, here?" Victoria asked out of concern.

He smiled at her. "I'm alright, thank you. Doctor says I'm healing up pretty quickly."

He let a few days go by before he decided to allow visitors. Apparently they'd all been asking to see him, but since he hadn't given the doctor the okay, she refused to let them enter.
He was glad, he already felt overwhelmed with just the three of them.

"Well we'll find whoever did this," Nick stated firmly. "Our boys are the best in town, right Michael?" He didn't wait for the bear's grunted confirmation before he continued. "We don't take too kindly to anyone who tries to harm our pack."

"Pack?" Toren blinked owlishly. Had he heard him correctly? He'd barely been there a week!

"Of course," Victoria chimed.

They were interrupted by the nurse poking his head into the room. "Sorry to disturb, alpha." He gave a nod to Nick. "But there's a man insisting to see you." He redirected his gaze on Toren. "He claims to be a relative. He said his name was Caledon? Do you know him or should I send him away?"

He tensed at the mention of his mysterious cousin. Even if it wasn't him that tried to kill him, he seemed to be a bad omen.
He sighed. "He's my cousin."

With all the shifter blood in the room, they all seemed to sense his discomfort.

"Should I send him away?" The nurse asked again, softer this time.

"It's alright, I'll see him." He rubbed his palms together, but felt it unnecessary to refuse. Besides, Michael would be there with him.

Nick gave him a nod and Victoria pat his hand, wishing him well, before the three of them filed out, but not without casting concerned glances over their shoulders.

There was some mumbled conversation outside the door before Caledon appeared at the doorframe, beaming his easy smile and looking as sly and relaxed as ever.
Seeing Toren sitting in the hospital bed didn't phase him and he acted rather nonchalant about it.
He sauntered in and dragged a chair up on the opposite side of the bed that Michael was seated. He gave the bear a quick once over, but ignored him for the most part.

"Hey, I heard from Betty what happened."

Toren pressed his lips together in a thin line. "You're staying in town?"

"Yeah, staying at her bed and breakfast." Caledon smiled, "sweet lady. Her husband makes the best croissants."

He clenched his hands together. It didn't sit well with him that Caledon was under the same roof as Betty and eating at the same table as her, Alexander, and the others. He had no reason to feel that way, but there was just something about Caledon that made his stomach churn.

"Why are you here?" He asked bluntly.

Caledon's face sobered up and he looked at Michael. "Could we speak alone?"

He could see Michael tense from the corner of his eye. "He stays," He said firmly.

Caledon pursed his lips, but put back on a smile, making direct eye contact with Toren.
He felt a shiver run down his back.