Chapter 19

After she demolishing two of the candy bars, Jungkook took the bag of chocolate and threw it in the back seat, raising an eyebrow at Maddy. Her bottom lip came out in protest. "Those candy bars are supposed to get me through my appointment today," she whined.

They were at a stop light, so he lightly pinched her chin and looked at her. "You're going to make yourself sick, if you keep going. I'm pretty sure the other five candy bars can't do anything more than the two you already had." He smiled at the chocolate on her lips even though he was putting his foot down on the candy bar consumption.

Maddy's phone chimed and she looked at it and frowned. "Dang. My mom says that her car still won't start. They towed it to a mechanic. She is taking a taxi home but says she won't be able to make it to the hospital. She's asking if you can take me home. Sorry, I was really hoping you wouldn't have to go in with me."

Jungkook frowned a bit, "I was going to stay and wait with you. Why do you not want me going in?"

Maddy closed her eyes and sighed. "No reason. I guess I'll just have to be on my best behavior." She texted her mom back telling her Jungkook could stay with her.

Jungkook was surprised at this response. He chuckled, "Do you usually throw a fit at the doctors?"

Maddy frowned at him. Her voice getting a little whiny, "Noooo. I just get crabby when I have my scans. I really don't want you to be forced to be with me when I'm in a bad mood." Then she realized she was frowning at him and relaxed her face. "Sorry, I guess I'm already getting nervous. I'll try channelling my inner peace." But Jungkook could see her nervous energy was starting by the amount of wiggling she was doing in her seat. He reached over and took her hand, he knew that helped calm her.

They pulled into the parking garage in front of the hospital. Maddy led the way across the parking lot, into the elevators and through the halls of the hospital to where her appointment was. When they got to the right office Maddy checked in at the front desk and Jungkook sat down in the lobby. Maddy joined him moments later.

Jungkook took Maddy's hand again, "You doing okay? Is it a painful procedure?"

Maddy shook her head and smiled to reassure him. "No, I'm just being a baby. I'll be fine." She kept his hand for the few minutes they had to wait. 

"Lee Madison!" A nurse came and called Maddy's name. 

Maddy looked at Jungkook, "Do you want to stay here, or do you want to come back?"

Jungkook didn't hesitate, "I'll come."

The nurse led them through the inner hallways of the hospital to a narrow room with a long countertop covered in computer monitors. Above the counter was a wall of windows looking in on a giant MRI machine. Coming through a door from the MRI room was a middle aged man who's face lit up when he saw Maddy.

"Lee Madison! My favorite patient of all time!" He came right over and gave her a big hug. 

Maddy hugged him back energetically, "Hi Soohyun! My favorite radiologist of all time!"

Soohyun shook a finger at her, "You realize, I'm your only radiologist, whereas I've had thousands and thousands of patients." He noticed Jungkook then. "Oh, you brought a friend today."

"Soohyun, this is Jungkook." The men bowed a little to each other. "My mom was having car trouble today."

"Oh, that's too bad, but I'm glad you were still able to make it." Then turning to Jungkook, "You can wait here while I get Madison all set up."