17. Five Hours

Akaashi raised his head, sleep still in his eyes. His neck was sore from sleeping weird and his hand was asleep, numb.

"Stop movin..."

Akaashi looked up and noticed Bokuto lying awake in his hospital bed. "Sorry. What time is it?"

"Four thirty."

"In the morning?"

"Mhmm."

"Have you been awake all night?"

Bokuto took a deep breath as he rubbed his eyes. "Mhmm, all night."

"Was the pain that bad?"

"Yeah they refused to give me any more morphine even though I got one small dose that lasted maybe two hours. I think another cyst ruptured while you were sleeping which really sucks."

"What are you supposed to do for that many ruptures?"

"I called my insurance company after you fell asleep and they said that it wouldn't cost much to remove my uterus since I've had so many bad cases over cystic ruptures in my past."

Akaashi sat up all the way. His back popped in the quiet of the room and he groaned.

"Oh ouch."

"Haha no. Hush." He relaxed back into sitting against the bed. "This happens a lot?"

"Mhmm."

"This is technically another step towards transitioning."

Bokuto smiled sadly. "I just wish that this was something positive. As soon as my period ends I can start prep for the surgery."

Akaashi yawned softly into his palm and stared at Bokuto. He looked beyond exhausted and his usually spiky hair lay flat against the pillow his head rested on, soaked with sweat from his temperature going up and down.

"You must be tired Kashi, you can go home and relax. I'll call you later."

"No, no it's okay. I'm staying here. No one should be staying in a hospital by themselves." He got on the bed and sat by Bokuto.

"You're too nice. I wanted to take care of you."

"I am not very easy to take care of."

"That's okay. Can I put my head in your lap?" Bokuto whispered. He yawned.

"Of course you can? Are you warm?"

"Not very warm, no."

"Mkay. Lemme get you another blanket."

"Comfy blanket." Bokuto turned onto his back. "That hurt."

"I bet it did." Akaashi walked to the doorway and looked around. He'd been here before and yet he didn't remember where things were. He headed to the nurse's desk and smiled. "Hey... can I maybe get another blanket? It's a bit chilly for my friend and he's having trouble falling asleep."

"Oh he still hasn't been able to get to sleep? Is just the temperature of his room bothering him?"

"Well, he hasn't been given any stronger pain medications since yesterday around three in the afternoon. The pain has been keeping him up all night." Akaashi glanced around. Hospitals at night looked barren and incredibly scary.

"Oh goodness let's check on him."

Akaashi led her to Bokuto's room where he was holding a pillow, taking slow breaths.

"Oh sweetheart, you really aren't feeling well, are you?" She checked his chart and raised a brow. "They mistyped your sex on here. Hm."

"I haven't been able to change it."