𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

FLASHBACK ONE

FLASHBACK ONE

I believe hating someone is the same thing as loving them.

If you think about it, you pay attention to almost everything they do. The way their face changes when they don't like something. The beauty marks on their face or even scars that you pick up on to use as an insult to them.

You study them. The way they act, their choices of food – do they prefer butter as their waffle topping or honey? You watch them, not as a stalker, but as an observer because you want to know everything about them – their weaknesses and strengths. What you could possibly use against them. Everything.

The way their lips twitch when they don't have an answer. Your heart beats faster when they say something and you can't come up with something good enough at the moment. Every interaction is like reading the scene in the book where the overdue kiss finally happens. It's the rush of the adrenaline and the way your heart beats so fast that you can feel the vibrations of it.

You lose sleep because you need to do better than them. So you are better.

It consumes you, just like love does, so why is love so different from hate?

Because jealousy, ignorance, and the universal circumstances ruin it.

It's like playing a game of tug of war. Just have to wait till the end to see who wins.

Flipping through the pages of my book as I studied for the Potions test we were about to have in the next thirty minutes.

Students were gathering in the Great Hall as they sat in small groups of their own. Their small whispers filled up the room as they grew louder. Food appeared on the tables as there were snacks for us to chew on for the moment.

Chewing on a piece of waffle in my mouth as my eyes were glued to the writings of the book.

"You look so stressed, it's just a small test. Professor Snape gives them every week, just one more question every test than the previous one."

I sighed as I swallowed. "I know — I know, but knowing him, he always throws in a discussion question and I'm always half asleep through those talks because I'm trying to catch up on the sleep from last night that I didn't get — " I took a deep breath, " — from finishing work from other classes."

"Okay then," she said as my head thumped against the book in exhaustion. "You do realize you've received a full score of an O, meaning an outstanding on all the tests we've taken in the last month, right?"

"I mean if you put it that way," I muttered with dissatisfaction, "you know what, I have twenty minutes left, and I should spend it relaxing, right?"

"Definitely," Bonnie smiled, "working up your brain actually does the opposite of helping you work through your tasks. Professor Trelawney taught us in Muggle Studies. It's very helpful. Muggles seem so sane to me."