Chapter 41

The first Traveler appeared two days later.

Honestly, no one was sure what to look for. According to Katherine, the Travelers had an annoying little habit of changing bodies very often because of a curse that kept them from gathering together in large groups for extended periods of time. Anyone in town could be possessed, not just the nice blond bartender/waiter at the Grill who happened to be part of the friend group.

They'd been monitoring Matt, who seemed to be doing fine aside from occasionally bumping into the edges of tables at his job. Whoever was inside of him wasn't planning to make an appearance anytime soon. Katherine had no idea what spell could be used to bring him forth. She apparently needed to speak Czech to have any shot at performing Traveler magic. And though she likely knew the language (despite claiming not to), Maddy imagined her spells wouldn't have worked anyway, because she had never had to perform them before, and had no one there to teach her.

Maddy kept out of the house to avoid having to speak to Katherine. She wanted nothing to do with her, despite how unusually helpful the doppelgänger was being (though this was probably because she knew that she'd die if the others didn't have her back).

The middle Salvatore preferred for them to figure out the Traveler problem themselves once Katherine was in a grave six feet under. If the Travelers wanted Katherine for something sinister, chances were it wouldn't go too well for them. The best way to keep them from getting what they wanted is to get rid of the person they were pursuing, right?

However, Stefan insisted Katherine might know something they didn't. Something that she wouldn't see as vital until it came up in a dangerous situation. Maddy said that Katherine was pretty useless if she wouldn't reveal information until she was in a life-or-death situation. Stefan didn't find it funny.

Maddy and Damon feared that Stefan was forging a connection to Katherine all over again. They didn't see her as being less bitchy in her human form, but it seemed that Stefan noticed a greater appreciation for mortals coming from the woman who so easily stepped over them in the past. Obviously, Katherine had no problem being friendly with Stefan. Damon had placed a bet that it would take less than a month for Katherine and Stefan to sleep together. Maddy bet it would take less than two weeks.

Staying out of the house was the best way to avoid Katherine drama altogether. This ended up in Maddy coming across one of the stalkers.

She'd been walking casually to her car, having thought to go and get some groceries now that more people were staying at the house. Before she even clicked her key to open the car, she sensed someone was watching from the bushes a few meters away.

She pretended she'd noticed nothing, humming and skipping over to the other side of her car, as if she was fetching something. She opened the door, taking her sweet time, trying to figure out if the person was moving toward her. They weren't moving at all, so she figured she might as well catch them before they got any bright ideas.

She sped off, ending up behind a man that was kneeling down, out of sight. He'd just blinked, and suddenly, she was gone, having reappeared behind him. He flinched immediately, holding his hands up in surrender.

Maddy took the opportunity to seize him by the throat and pull him to his feet.

"What do we have here?" she asked wickedly. "My brothers and I are pretty famous but it's been a long time since the paparazzi watched us from the shadows. Unless, of course, you're one of those Travelers."

He faltered, and her grin widened. "How perfect," she said, before flinging him about ten yards away, causing him to land on the ground with a painful grunt. She heard a crack, which could have been one of his bones, or the twigs under the leaves he landed on.