20: We are all people

Kitiara run to Kuvira's office. The guard allowed her to enter without exchanging any words.

The woman joined the couple who were looking out of the window.

" By this time tomorrow, my mother will have signed the treaty, and the Earth Empire will finally be united. " Baatar said.

" Don't get ahead of yourself. Securing your hometown won't be like every other city. " Kuvira stated the obvious and walked to her map.

Baatar turned and peered at Kuvira. " Zaofu stopped being my home long ago. I'm ready to take it by force. "

Kitiara shot him a glance but didn't do any comments.

" No. The eyes of the world are on us now. We must do this right. That's why we need Bolin. " The Great Uniter refused.

Baatar sighed. " Do you really think we can rely on him ? "

" He has proven himself countless times. He is also our friend. We can obviously rely on him. " The air bender answered.

" She's right. Not to mention that Su trusts him. She'll listen to him. " The metal bender agreed.

Suddenly, the train shook.

Kuvira grabbed her desk to keep herself on her feet.

Kitiara grasped a metal bar with the one hand and her cousin with the other one to steady them.

" God, this can't be happening. Let's go to check on it quickly. " He suggested.

The women nodded.

A man came inside the room. " It was from Varrick and Zhu-Li. "

And he left as fast he came.

The trio run to Varrick's laboratory.

Kitiara's eyes widened the moment she saw that the back of the train had disappeared.

" What happened ? Were we attacked ? " Kuvira asked gazing around.

" No! We were spirit-vined! But don't worry! I'm putting the kibosh on this project. " Varrick replied dusting himself off.

He slided a lever on the wall down and the greenish light bathing his samples, set into notches in the wall, lessened and went out.

" No, you're not. Do you realize what we could do with this kind of power ? " She insisted.

" Yes! I do! And that's why we gotta put an end to it! What if it fell into the wrong hands ? " The scientist retorted.

" Since when does that matter to you ? " Baatar crossed his arms on his chest.

" I know, it's not like me, right? Usually I look at a project like this and think, ' Wow ! I could make a ton of money off this ! ' But recently, I've been having these strange feelings... inside. It's like I'm... concerned with others. And there's this nagging voice in my head constantly telling me what's right from wrong ! " Varrick stated feeling confused.

" I believe that voice is your conscience, sir. " Zhu-Li remarked.

" Sorry, no. I just really gotta stand my ground on this one-- Whoa ! " The man was cut off by Kuvira metal bending the metal plates of his armor. She pulled him in the air and walked toward the hole of the train.

" And now there's a voice in my head telling me to drop you on the tracks. " She said.

" Should I listen ? " She yelled as Varrick was floating outside the train.

" Kuvira- " Kitiara started saying but was interrupted.

" No ! No ! Head voices are liars, what do head voices know ? I'll work on the project ! Please don't drop me ! " He pleaded.