Chapter 16 - Astra Journeys to Akkala

Summary: Astra and Purah travel to the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab. Astra's resemblance to Link triggers some recollections along the way.

It was a sunny morning at the Hateno Ancient Tech Lab, and before leaving her room and joining Purah for breakfast, Astra took a moment to update the journal she had been keeping on her Tab.

Year 142 - Month 10 - Day 9

It's hard to believe that today marks only one week since I first arrived on snowy Mount Lanayru. So much has happened in such a short time!

I was chosen by the sword that seals the darkness, and I am in awe at the responsibility that comes with it and the trust the Goddess has shown in me. I am the one she has chosen to protect her people and her beautiful land! I pray every day I will have the strength, wisdom, and courage to live up to all needed of me.

My meetings with Dr. Purah and Queen Zelda have gone well for a start. I also had fruitful discussions with King Dorephan, Prince Sidon, and Impa's granddaughter, Paya. I hope I can help Zelda overcome her grief in some small way, though I know some wounds may never truly heal. All we can do is accept what fate has brought us and do our best to deal with it. At least I can try to comfort her over her loss. I also know what loss feels like. I miss everyone I left behind and always will. But I accept that this is where I am needed. The more I learn about the Yiga Clan and the suffering they have inflicted, the more I am filled with resolve to destroy them and enable all good people to live here in peace. I am honored to have the chance to finish the job my father started over twenty years ago.

Astra put away her Tab and then joined Purah for breakfast in the lab.

"After we finish eating, I need to go into town to pick up some rice, eggs, and Endura Mushrooms from the East Wind general store," said Purah. "Do you want to come with me or stay here? I will lock up either way."

"I'll accompany you and help carry things," said Astra. "I'm supposed to be your assistant after all. And it looks like a fine day to be outside. I hope there's no harm in leaving my hood off now and showing my face. I enjoy the feel of the sun and fresh air."

"I'm sure it's fine," said Purah. "I was probably being overly cautious at first. You obviously don't need to be a Sheikah to work on ancient technology. In fact, Jerrin, who became Robbie's wife, is a Hylian with blonde hair like you, and she worked as my competent assistant for years before I sent her off to help Robbie."

After finishing breakfast, Purah locked up, and they headed down the hill together, past lanterns glowing with blue flames.

"Believe it or not, it was your father who lit those lanterns over 25 years ago, and they're still burning," said Purah as they walked together. "The fire burns from a special form of ancient energy, and even rain doesn't extinguish it."

"Amazing," said Astra, who reflected it was yet another reminder of her father.

They passed some quiet houses and then crossed a small wooden bridge that spanned part of Zelkoa Pond and led into the Hateno Village main street.

"I'll check for mail at the inn on our way back," said Purah as she nodded toward the Great Ton Pu Inn. "I have all my mail delivered there since I don't like people coming up to the lab."

The East Wind general store was open for business at the far end of town. When Astra and Purah entered the store, the proprietor named Ivee looked startled at first but then quickly recovered her composure and greeted Purah.

"Good morning, Dr. Purah," said Ivee. "I'll be with you in a minute."

There was a mother and her young son who looked about nine or ten years old finishing their shopping ahead of them, and the son kept staring at Astra. Then he tugged at his mother's sleeve and whispered something to her, nodding at Astra. The mother turned to look at Astra and then spoke softly to her son, who was still staring at Astra.