Chapter Four - A Strange Pair

Unedited

The sun had fallen from the middle of the sky towards the horizon, the breeze carrying the warmth of the day around the city. Even though it was nearing the end of the season, and Autumn was slowly approaching, the heat kept it warm enough to not have to wear a jacket or jumper. Cameron continued to wear her thin coat, just in case the wind decided to carry a chill into the city.

She much preferred the heat of the summer sun to the cool, frigid breeze of a winter's day. In a few weeks, the heat would probably start ebbing away, making way for rain and chills. She would just spend time inside, knowing she didn't get along with the icy feeling. It reminded her too much of certain aspects of her past.

Her trainers hit the concrete as she walked back to her apartment. The bag over her shoulder bounced into her leg every time she took a step. She smiled to herself, and took a deep breath of air. Considering it was a city, the air was fresher than other cities she had been to.

Reid had offered to drive her back to her apartment, but he got a phone call from someone. She wasn't sure who it was on the other end, but they sounded frustrated, and whatever they had spoken of left Reid annoyed. Reid had apologised, then rushed off to wherever he was needed. That left her to walk the forty minute walk back to her apartment.

All alone.

Well, alone until she was halfway home. Her phone ringing interrupted her aloneness.

She didn't check the contact before answering, knowing that only six people had her number.

"Yellow, welcome to Cameron's voicemail. Please don't leave a message because they will most likely not be listened to-."

"And I thought you would want someone to speak to." Myles' amused voice cut through her monologue, her smile growing at the sound of his calm tone.

"Me? Speak to people? When has that ever been my thing?" Cameron joked, looking both ways before crossing a road.

Myles' laugh came through the speaker, the noise crackling slightly from the wavering signal. "Now I know you're spending too much time with Lloyd."

Cameron chuckled, checking the sign at which street she was on. It had been a little while since she had walked from the house to the apartment and if she got lost, she would never hear the end of it.

"I do live with him, you know." Cameron stated. She knew he didn't need reminding. "And why would I need someone to speak to?"

"I heard from a certain brother of ours that you happened to be walking home alone."

Cameron rolled her eyes. Of course Reid would message someone to check on her. It had happened before and she shouldn't be surprised that this would happen again.

"I would never be walking alone. Now, flying, on the other hand, I am very adept at." She uttered sarcastically.

"Right, how silly of me." Myles replied, his deadpan tone making her grin. She heard him sigh, then his voice became serious. "How are you?"

"I'm good," Cameron responded, nodding to herself. Except she had been fired, her muscles ached, she now needed to search for another job and her hand pulsed with an ache every so often. "What about you?"

"The café has been a bit of a hassle, but I've shut it for the next couple of days." Myles explained.

Cameron frowned. Myles never shut his café.

The café. Stepping through the glass double doors for the first time, the warmth wrapping around her and the smell of homemade pastries and coffee. Charlie's Corner Cafe had nothing on the feeling that Myles' café could give her. The name, however, was something that Arlo had apparently come up with.