49 • i wish it was nothing • 49

Billy and I made our way back to the kitchen

Billy and I made our way back to the kitchen. I cautiously followed behind him as he made his way to where a bowl of punch had been laid out for people to help themselves to. Billy picked up two red cups and filled them each with the punch. Billy turned to me and handed me mine. I gingerly took it, wanting to tell him I'd promised my step-brothers I wasn't going to drink tonight, but I didn't think this would be the right time to tell him that.

Billy leant against the counter, taking a sip from the red cup. I was trying not to watch him too closely or try and get him to talk so I averted my gaze to look at the people that were surrounding me. Again, I was realising I was the stranger in this room. Yet, I had probably just pissed off the only person I was here for.

"I don't get it, Char." Billy said, shaking his head at me. My eyes snapped in his direction, his voice was the only thing that allowed me to watch him closely. "Why would someone make up some kind of fucked up accusation like that?"

I felt my lips purse, ready for my voice to escape them. I tried to respond, but I couldn't. He'd answered my question without me having to ask it.

Billy didn't know.

Billy had read an accusation written down in a game. He'd read it as someone trying to mess with Milo. To Billy, it was trouble. It was a word that could change the dynamics in a room like a flip of a switch. To Billy, it was a title without a story. It was a villain without a victim. It was making his friend the villain without anything to give the villainising any just cause.

A crushing feeling weighed down in the pit of my stomach. Only after seeing his reaction could I see clearly that I had been a villain here too. I had acted without thinking for the hundredth time and it had led me somewhere I didn't want to be. Now I was stood trying console the guy I liked about a problem I had now placed in his hands. I had made a stupid and impulsive choice yet again.

"i'm sorry." I managed to say, but Billy didn't seem to think I might be sorry for this.

Billy shook his head like he thought I was just trying to sympathise with him. I could tell he was thinking I couldn't possibly understand how he was feeling. To Billy, this was his problem and I was a witness.

"Charlie." Someone said, placing a hand on my shoulder and  drawing my attention away from Billy.

I recognised the voice immediately and turned to see Joe and Taylor stood behind me.

"You okay?" I said to Taylor in a quiet uncertain voice.

I didn't want Billy to know I sympathised with the message.

Taylor nodded and looked to Joe.

"Do you know what the fuck that was downstairs?" Joe asked me.

"No." I shook my head, realising I couldn't even be honest with my best friends right now. "Probably someone's idea of a sick joke."