Chapter Thirty

Kitty

Kitty thought she'd matured a lot in the two years since she had graduated high school. What time couldn't accomplish, experience had, but it would seem some things would never change. Like the urge to punch Sara Elizabeth in the face or to call her a cow. She was only sad the girl no longer sported that dreadful pixie cut from senior year because she could've ragged her all day over that.

"I'm still wondering how anyone thought it was a good idea to let her in. For all we know, she set this entire thing up," Sara Elizabeth shrieked. It was the same thing she'd been saying for the last hour– just words in a different order.

"Sara Elizabeth," Travis said, drawing out her name with unveiled exasperation. "That isn't really the point anymore."

"Isn't it?"

She twisted in her seat and glared at Travis, her fingers curled around the seatbelt strapped across her chest. A still very flat chest. Kitty made a mental note to remember that for later.

"None of this was a problem until she showed up, and then suddenly our High Priestess is possessed by a centuries old ghost. And we are now taking her with us into enemy territory where she will probably hand us over like a neatly wrapped present. You two are such fucking airheads to not even consider this."

Declan's knuckles turned white on the steering wheel. He had remained mostly silent while Kitty recounted the story of the last day, purposefully skimming over the exact details of how Morgause managed full possession. Travis and Sara Elizabeth–perverts that they were–connected the dots real quick, and Declan's complete lack of embarrassment was further proof the sorcerer was in a very dangerous headspace. She didn't need magic to sense he was coming completely undone at the seams.

"That's where you're wrong," Declan said, shocking everyone into silence. "Lux started having Dreams a while back, and they started getting worse the last few days. Kitty showed up after the last one."

Sara Elizabeth sank into her seat. "Why didn't Lux tell us? Her Circle? We can't help her if she keeps things to herself."

Kitty hated she agreed with the girl on that point. Lux had a terrible habit of trying to do things without help. Apparently, that bit hadn't changed after high school either. She used the rearview mirror to watch the two in the backseat. At this point, she was thinking the only thing that had changed in the last two years was Travis' muscles.

"So what are we hoping to accomplish here?" Travis asked.

Declan exhaled. "I don't know now that Morgause has taken over. If they stored her soul in the Faerie stone, it isn't there anymore. Is this trip even worth it now?"

Kitty straightened in her seat, her blue eyes bright with excitement as a thought came to her. "Where did Lux's soul go?"

"What do you mean?" Travis tilted his head. The leather creaked as he leaned forward and clutched the back of Kitty's seat. "You don't think they're just squished in there together?"

"Definitely not," she laughed. It was brittle and forced, but it eased some of the tension in the vehicle. "Elaine said they thought the exchange would happen when the witch turned seventeen, because that's when the witch gets her channeling stone, but it didn't happen that way for Lux. These Dreams only started recently. The Faerie stone had to be physically connected to Lux to open up the connection."

"And now the transfer is complete," Sara Elizabeth grumbled.

Kitty snapped her fingers, making the girl jump. "Exactly. A transfer, which means Lux's soul is now in the stone."

"How do we know Morgan won't just destroy it, then? Hasn't already destroyed it."

The car lurched to the side, and Declan righted it. Sweat beaded on his brow. "She hasn't. Lux is alive–or still exists. I would feel it."