Chapter Six: More Brown Eyes

Here is the last "Alice has a normal life" part, things will really start to pick up after this! I'd love to hear what you think of the story so far/where you think things are headed, happy reading!

----------------

Nick sped along the highway towards the nearest emergency room. They needed to see if Alice's wounds needed further medical attention before getting back on with their trip home.

Nick was firing off questions as he drifted across two lanes of traffic to make their exit. "That's the second time something weird has attacked you in less than twenty-four hours, what are these things?? And how do they keep finding you? And who keeps saving you?"

"I don't know." Alice grunted in pain as the change in speed caused her legs to shift and she reopened one of the cuts across her thighs. "Ah shit, this one'll need stitches for sure." She said gesturing to the deep cut on her thigh, just above her knee.

"Oh I'm sorry Sparkles, I'll be more careful with the truck." Nick apologized as he took the next turn at a more cautious speed.

"It's fine." Alice gritted out as the cut burned. She got a new stack of gauze from the first aid kit and applied pressure to the cut once more.

"Where did you get this anyway?" Alice asked, motioning to the kit that sat on the arm rests between them, trying to distract herself from the pain.

"I don't know. It was on your seat when I got back to the truck. When I got back out to look for you I saw you stumbling out of the woods, what were you doing in there anyway?" Nick raised an eyebrow at Alice.

Alice gave out a short laugh at her own carelessness. "I was getting some of those pretty wildflowers to weave us some bracelets to pass the time. The orange ones would match your pretty black hair so well, I just couldn't resist." Alice joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Awe that's sweet of ya Sparkles." He quipped.

They were pulling into the parking lot of the ER now. Nick parked at the front door and made sure Alice got checked in and tended to before he went and parked his truck in the lot.

As he walked back in, the receptionist at the front desk pointed him down a hallway of examination rooms. "Room sixteen hon, all they way at the end of the hall and around the corner. First door on the right. You can't miss it." The lady said.

Nick threw a "thank you" over his shoulder as he hurried down the hall. Stopping just before the corner, he called his parents to let them know that they had gotten sidetracked, and that he would explain more later. He decided after he ended the call to his parents that he would have Alice decide if she wanted to tell her folks about what happened.

Inside of the examination room, Alice could only focus on the pain of the nurse peeling back her makeshift bandages carefully to check on the damage.

"It was a wild cat you say? We haven't had any sightings around here, but we'll notify animal control to see if they know anything about it. Most likely it wandered into the area and you caught it as it was passing through." The nurse explained.

"Two of these will need stitching up. But the other two can probably get away with a fresh dressing. I'll get the doctor in here so he can get a look too. One moment sweetie." The nurse said as he stood and grabbed her chart. "When was the last time you had a tetanus shot?"

"I don't remember, so I'll probably need another one." Alice chucked.

"Probably better if you got one too, that cat might not have been in its right mind." The nurse shook his head as he turned to leave. Nick came into the room then.