Meeting Luisa

You are the daughter of Encanto's baker. Your father owns the local Panaderia. You worked the shop from a very young age. Your brothers were quite a bit older than you so they had their own families early and you had to pick up the slack for them sometimes. 

You were working by yourself one morning, your father worked overnight to make all of the baked goods so you had to work starting very early so he could rest in the mornings. The initial rush of the morning had passed so the customers were coming in slowly but steady. 

The bell on the door jingled. You looked up and a large group was walking in. It was none other than the legendary Madrigals. They were iconic in Encanto, and you were lucky enough to have bonded with Dolores last summer. She started coming to the bakery frequently and you always gossiped together while she ate her cake. 

Dolores lead the group into the bakery "Hola Y/N!"

"Hola Dolores! You brought the family!" You say to her excited to see them all together.

"Yes! We're running a few errands together this morning. Have you met them?" she asked. You shook your head. 

they introduced themselves one by one:

"I'm Camillo" he said, grinning

"Isabella" she said with a swish

"Mirabel" She curtsied. 

"Luisa" She smiled at you and shook your hand. Her hand was large and her shake was firm. It made your heart flutter. random. 

"And you know Mariano" Dolores said, leaning towards her boyfriend on her arm. 

"Nice to meet you all! I'm Y/N" I said with a smile. "But I definitely know your names. You're famous" They all giggled.

"Famous is a stretch" Isabella said. "but thank you Y/N" I smiled at her.

I leaned on the glass case, softening my stance. "So what will it be today, Madrigals?" 

"We'll have a whole Tres Leches!" Dolores Chimed. 

"OOh treating yourself?" you asked "you usually just get a slice!"

"It's Dolores' birthday! She said the only thing she wanted was one of your cakes!" Mariano said with pride. Dolores looked embarrassed that he brought it up. You knew that she hated being the center of attention. 

"Happy Birthday!" You bounced up from the counter and clapped your hands together. Dolores playfully shoed me, indicating that I should stop. "Let me get you a fresh one from the back." Dolores nodded. 

I grabbed a cake from the back. Mariano payed for the cake while I chatted with Camillo and Mirabel, they were giggling and giddy, it made me smile. They felt so young even though they were just a few years younger than me. Mariano thanked me and the group filed out, 

I started to go to the back when I realized that Luisa was still standing at the counter, she was looking intently into the glass case. you watched her for a moment, it was so sweet, she looked so entertained, after a moment you ask "Did you wanna get something?" 

She looked up at you slowly, not realizing you had been watching her, she looked a little embarrassed, eyes wide and cheeks red. When you just smiled at her and she seemed relieved. 

"What are those?" Luisa said, pointing to the case, I leaned over it so I could see what she was pointing to. 

"Roscón de Arequipe!" You Responded excided. "Those are my favorite, they have Dulce de Leche in the middle."

"Oh! They look so pretty." Luisa said sheepishly. You pulled one out of the case and put it into a brown bag for her. and slid it over the top of the case to her. "Thank you," she paused, "But I don't have any money." 

You Shook your head and smiled up at her. "My treat." 

"R-really?" she perked up

I nodded. She slowly took it off the counter and took it out of the bag. She examined it for a moment before taking a bite of the treat. 

Her face lit up. "Wow" She mumbled while going in for a second larger bite. "Did you make this?" She looked up from the treat to me. She was intently chewing big bites.

"My dad did. But I know how to." You said "They are really fun to make too."

"Wow" Luisa said, Putting the last bite in her mouth. "Give your dad my regards." Her eyes were wide as if her world had been rocked.

I giggled. "I will."

There was a little awkward pause "Yknow, we're throwing a party for Dolores tonight, I'm sure she'd love if you came."  Luisa said, she looked down at her feet. Was she nervous?

"Oh-" The bell on the door rang and interrupted you, and you saw the other madrigals in front of the store again

"Luisaaaa, we almost forgot you! Hurry up lets go!" Isabella said, poking her head into the store. 

"Oh sorry I was j-" Luisa started

"We have to go get the decorations" Camillo Popped his head in "Abuela is waiting." 

Luisa looked back at you. You could see a strain in her eyes, You tried to give her a sympathetic look. 

Mirabel grabbed Luisa's arm and pulled her, Luisa turned back to look at you, "Thank you Y/N"

"Of course Luisa" I smiled.

once they were all outside, Dolores popped her head in "Y/N?"

"Yeah?" you replied

"We would love to have you tonight" She said. Luisa nodded shyly behind her

You Smiled. "I'll be there."

"Great!" The door closed behind her and you watched them head away. your cheeks felt hot. What was that?