Ezra's Benefit: chapter one

I'm in a giving mood and I want anyone who is still unsure about patreon to possibly persuade them with this chapter. Here's the entirety of chapter one of Ezra's benefit, the rest will be available on my patreon, link in my bio.

Enjoy!

He shouldn't of done it.

He knew he shouldn't have done it, but he couldn't stop thinking about it.

It was just a kiss. A drunken kiss at that. Didn't mean anything. Especially not to Colby.

He knew all that, and yet Ezra couldn't stop wondering if it did mean something. Didn't someone say that drunken actions are sober thoughts? How true that was, he wasn't sure. Surely, it couldn't mean nothing.

For months now, Colby had breathed malice every time he so much as looked at Ezra. Not that any of it was undeserved. He wasn't trying to play victim here, he just... fuck, he didn't even know. Who kisses the guy they hate while drunk? What straight guy would kiss the guy they hate while drunk? It couldn't mean nothing.

He begged it not to mean nothing.

"Ezra, are you listening?"

Ezra turned away. He hadn't noticed himself slipping into pointless thoughts. For how long had he been staring out the window? "Sorry, Coach. What were you saying?"

Coach Clain glanced at him over her glasses. Normally, she would've scolded him for being a space case, but today she was being patient. She had far more patience than people gave her credit for. "I asked how things were at home recently?"

"Why do you ask?" He nervously drummed his fingers on the arms of the chair he was sitting on.

"You seem very out of it today." She said. "For the entirety of practice you weren't there and don't try and tell me that you were because I know you. You don't have to tell me anything if you don't wish to, but when we last spoke on Friday, you said your dad was putting more pressure on you because he was having problems with his girlfriend."

"Oh yeah, that." He'd almost forgotten how he'd smashed the mirror in the changing room. He hadn't meant to, but he was so angry. One moment his helmet was in his hand and he was alone in the changing room, the next the helmet was across the room surrounded by broken glass and Coach Clain was staring at him in disbelief. He'd begged her not to tell anyone, promised it was an accident, just don't tell his dad, please. She'd covered it up, said the nails that held it up were old and rusted and that it had fell down and shattered on its own. In exchange, he confessed his worries to her. "He broke up with his girlfriend."

"Were you friends with his girlfriend?"

"No. He has terrible choice in women."

"How do you mean?"

He couldn't distinguish their faces anymore, because it didn't matter what they looked like. They all looked different but they were the same woman. "He always chooses a very certain type of woman, I'm not sure he knows he does it but he does."

"What type is that?"

"Women who clearly don't love him and never will. Women who will fight with him, want him for nothing more than what he has, women who will inevitably leave him. They're all like..."

"They're all like?"

He shook his head. "No, nothing." He already talked about his dad too much, he wasn't about to bring his mother into this as well. Her face stood out among all the others, even now. He couldn't remember the last time she reached out to him?

"Is that the reason why you have been so distracted today?"

He shook his head and felt heat rush to his face. "No." His fingers drummed faster. "This weekend there was a party and I- I kissed someone I really shouldn't have. Sorry, I don't know why I brought it up. It's so stupid. I'll focus harder tomorrow, I promise."