Chapter 42

She was back in the same cell.

With a groan, she sat up, finding the spot on the wall where she'd carved tick marks and her initials decades ago. On the far end were the letters E.D.M., with a crooked happy face beside them.

"Good morning."

Maddy turned her head to the side to reveal Dr. Maxfield standing in the adjacent hallway, looking at her and Damon and holding a needle and syringe.

"When we get out of here," sneered Maddy weakly. "I'll—"

Dr. Maxfield reached in, yanking her forward and stabbing the needle into her neck. She whimpered, then relaxed slightly.

"Vervain," said Dr. Maxfield. "To keep you calm."

"Let us out," Maddy begged. "Don't do this to us again... have mercy..."

"Mercy? You're vampires. Killers. Think of this as atonement for all your bad deeds. This is balance. This is your punishment."

"Just so you know," coughed Damon in the other cell, "it didn't end well for the last Augustines. You're inviting bad karma in by holding us here."

Dr. Maxfield fought back a smirk. "Is that what you told Dr. Whitmore?"

"He didn't talk much aside from a few partial monologues," muttered Maddy. "Just cut... cut... cut..."

"PLEASE!" she screamed, thrashing on the examination table as hard as she could, with a wild hope that she could break the restraints. "STOP IT! STOP! AT LEAST SEDATE ME!"

Dr. Whitmore hummed. "No can do, 21052. The medications won't work on you anyway. Any vervain to knock you out will only set me back."

"Don't do this," she pleaded as he dragged the scalpel down to her stomach. "Don't— don't do this, please."

He dug the scalpel further in, reaching a spot just past her navel. "I have to examine you more thoroughly than your brother. You have organs that he doesn't. You'll regenerate every bit I cut out. Think of how many mothers and children you'd help this way."

"LET ME GO!" she sobbed. "STOP! STOP!"

She flinched when she realized that Dr. Maxfield was now leaving the room.

"Mads," said Damon, crawling over to the wall that separated them. "You okay?"

"Klaus will get here soon," she whispered. "He'll come and save us. He'll stop Dr. Maxfield from mutilating us... from cutting out all those parts... putting them back... turning us into Rippers who feed on vampires..."

She stifled a sob. "I'm never gonna be a mom, am I?"

"Don't say that... they never fully took it out—"

"They almost did," she snapped. "Even if I had the cure all for myself, even if Klaus was human, I wouldn't be able to have kids. He removed so many bits of it... an entire fallopian tube... and I can't even become a mother through adoption because Klaus doesn't want kids. I'm never going to have what I want. I'm never going to escape this."

"I won't let him hurt you again. I swear, I won't."

"He'll do whatever he wants to do," she muttered. "Dr. Whitmore did. With you and Enzo, he just focused on your lungs... your heart... livers... anything above the neck... nothing below the navel. With me, he suddenly had the urge to explore reproductive organs. A cold and dead uterus that had no use to him. He just enjoyed knowing that he made me uncomfortable. He was a sadist."

Suddenly, the door opened, and Dr. Maxfield returned, only this time, he was dragging a body behind him.

"No!" cried Maddy immediately, leaning up against the bars when she saw who it was. "Elena! How did you—?"