75

LOU'S POV:

Moving was a bitch.

At least that was what Nicole kept repeating over and over, but she eventually got over it and called to check up on me, letting me know things were in order, that their stove was working, and that she had just spent an hour building her bed.

A few days had passed since Diane kissed my cheek that night at the bar. And it happened to be my favorite memory to come back to for the last couple of days, to the point my subconscious played with me and made me have a dream about her.

A dream that involved me and Diane to be completely naked, and doing way more than just a peck on the cheek.

I took an uber to Nicole's place that evening. She had forgotten a box filled with personal stuff. Posters, pictures, teddy bears and such.

I had a spare key, so I just let myself in.

"Nicole?" I said out loud, closing the door behind me as I entered the apartment.

It was less messy than the last time I saw it. Their couch had arrived, so that was good, and now they had glasses in the kitchen instead of two old mugs.

I put the box on top of their living room couch, and looked around.

The door to the bedroom was open, but nobody was there.

I called Nicole but her phone rang inside of the house. Of course had forgotten it.

I turned around to leave the apartment, but then the door opened, and revealed the last person I expected to see.

The universe must have been playing with me, because Diane crossed that door, sweaty from head to toe, panting. She had been working out, for sure.

"Oh. God." She said, surprised, "I thought no one was home."

"Yeah, I called Nicole but she left her phone here. I was just dropping off something." I said, pointing at the box.

But what was she doing here?

Diane nodded, closed the door behind her and served herself a glass of water.

"You came here looking for Sarah or something?" I asked.

Diane looked at me and shook her head, she took a large gulp of water, "I'm... well, yeah. I'm just staying here for a couple of nights. Until the trial's over." She said, undoing her ponytail.

She looked amazing in that workout outfit.

"I thought Nicole had told you." She said.

I scratched the back of my neck, "She didn't."

Diane drunk more of her water before she spoke to me again, "I just couldn't stay at my place knowing Andy knows where I live. I'm sleeping on the couch, though."

"Alright." I said, gathering my keys and my phone to leave the place.

"You can stay, and wait for Nicole if you'd like." She said, probably wanting me to stay longer.

I wanted to stay too, but I couldn't bear looking at her. Specially like this.

"No, it's fine. I was just dropping off that box." I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"Okay."

"You're doing yoga again?" I asked.

She chuckled, "No, no. I wish. I've started working out, my personal trainer is a bitch."

I chuckled at that.

"It was nice seeing you again." Diane said softly.

I just started walking towards the door, not saying anything else.

"Wait." Diane said.

I turned around, "I'm working things out in my life. I... I just want you to know that I'm trying to be better. I've started going to a therapist, someone my mother didn't recommend." She smiled at me, "I've been thinking about us. And, if you ever need anybody, just to talk, maybe to drink some coffee, or discuss a book... I'm here."

I hated her. I hated how she made that offer such a temptation. I hated how she made me want to say yes to all of that and more.

"I think of you often, and I miss you like crazy. And I know I messed up..."

"Countless times." I cut her off.

"Yes, countless times. I know I did you wrong, and I regret it every moment of everyday. I do. My feelings for you are intact, they're just as intense as they used to be, and I have every intention to get you back if you'd like that too."

"I'm late for something." I lied.

"Just think about it."

"Bye."

And I got out of that apartment.

As soon as the elevator doors closed I started sobbing silently. I wanted her back, I wanted her even if she had made me miserable at some point. I wanted to have her next to me again, to hear her talk to me about her favorite things. I wanted her.

And as always, I heard to my heart, not my head.

I didn't get off the elevator, I just pushed back the button to go back to the sixth floor.

*

DIANE'S POV:

The knock on the door startled me. I turned off the water of the shower. Whoever it was, they would have to deal with the smell of my sweat and my reddened cheeks, not to mention my horrible mood after the little scene I had just pulled with Laura.

I was exhausted, not only because I had just done the most intense cardio I had ever done, but because tomorrow was going to be another day in which I would be inside of that courtroom with that judge and with Andy just a few meters away from me.

I opened the door and she was there. A tear running down her cheek, frowned eyebrows and her teeth nibbling on her lower lip.

"Lou..."

Both her hands came to rest on the sides of my face, and pulled me to her. She kissed me, she kissed me as if she was thirsty for me, she kissed me as if she had missed me just as much as I did. And she moaned, and she smiled when I kissed her back.

One her hands grabbed onto the back of my neck to pull me closer, but I wasn't going anywhere.

She tasted salty, probably because of the tears she had shed, but besides that, her lips remained as soft as I remembered them.

She kissed me softly, passionately.

We parted, both of us panting.

"That was for good luck. For tomorrow." She said, before she pecked my lips one last time and let go of me.

"How did you know tomorrow...?"

"I just know."

And she walked away.