5: Until I Met You

Chapter 5

Thankfully, the fact that Cason sat beside me in English class didn't put a damper on my plans of staying within the shadows of the school. In fact, after the first day of jealous glares sent towards me by the other girls in my class, they obviously saw that I didn’t care who he was and just went back to ignoring me while attempting to steal small glances at the new class hottie.

Over the two weeks that I had been seated beside Cason in English he hasn’t actually talked to me that much although, I think he may have asked me for a sharpener at one point, but I don’t really see how that makes a big influence in my life.

Anyways, when I told Olivia about Cason transferring into my English class, she seemed shocked at first but didn’t find it all that surprising. Apparently, on top of his everyday business of being a badass, Cason also didn’t do too badly on tests and actually had a decent brain attached to his shoulders.

One thing I just didn’t understand is why Cason and his friend Evan, who returned to school halfway through the first week, were said to be the school bad boys. Sure, I had heard a ton of stories about them; they each are in charge of an underground gang, they’ve been known to steal from local businesses, they’ve spent the last two summers behind bars, they live in the ghetto, they have twenty tattoos each, they skip class consistently, etc.

What I don’t understand is why, with all these rumours, I have yet to see one be true.

At my old school, I knew that a bunch of rumours were circulating about me and students had made up reasons why I was so closed off. I think at one point the school’s soccer captain spread a rumour about me being a spy for the police unit to monitor the drug and alcohol levels that teenagers consume these days, and that was just one of the ridiculous stories that followed me back home.

The point was, ever since the rumours started about me in my old town, I vowed never to listen to a rumour about someone until it proved to be true, and that’s why I hadn’t formed an opinion about Cason yet. To me, he was a normal guy who got annoyed easily with the slutty girls at our school, kept his business to himself, and took his education seriously. Nothing he had done had proven this theory wrong, and it was what I was sticking to until I saw something that went against my theory.

When I told Olivia my take on the bad boy, she actually listened and agreed on the fact that she’s never actually seen him act all that badass either. The only thing she really had to say on the subject was that, if I was to ever try and talk to him (which would only happen when pigs started to fly), I should proceed with caution because behind every rumour, there was always a small ounce of truth.

At the time I shrugged off the advice as I knew that the moment I talked to Cason about anything other than English would be the day that I wanted to come out of the shadows at school - which happened to be never.

On a regular weekend in my old town I would usually stay inside, complete every piece of homework I was given, and then just watch a movie with my parents. Since my dad died however, I never really got past the homework part of my weekend before walking to an abandoned room and letting my tears stream down my face.

Last weekend, the days that concluded my first official week of school in Avondale, was the first weekend in a long time that I had actually made plans.