23. {suppressed memories}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

on the basement floor of a rundown slaughterhouse, six-year-old moonee zhao was sitting in front of a cold large desk. perched on her head was a cap made of wires and patches attached to her scalp. the wires were transmitting electrical stimulations to and from her brain.

connected to the wires was a large machine and standing beside the machine, operating it was the surgeon.

indah zhao entered the room in her unusually clean lab coat and a clipboard. a sharp HB pencil perched on the top of her left ear and her long, dark brown hair was pulled back into a tight, low ponytail.

"hi, baby." indah greeted her daughter, her voice soft, "how's it going?"

"mama, it hurts." moonee complained, her fingers squirming in slight agony. her face was sickly pale, and bruises covered her lips.

"that's how you know it's working." indah dismissed her, "how is she?"

"condition steady." the surgeon said in his robotic voice.

"great to hear." indah grinned, "she's going to be a success, i promise you." the woman moved over to the laptop, examining her daughter's results, "have you taken the tablets?"

"they taste yucky." moonee shook her head, sticking her tongue out in disgust at the thought of them.

"you have to follow instructions, or this won't work!" indah yelled. although the lady loved her daughter, she had a short fuse and was easily irritated by her.

"okay." moonee said, sheepishly.

the pathologist staggered into the room, a rusty tin of moonee's pills in his hands. the doctor opened the lid and placed the tin on the table.

moonee sighed while reaching for a tablet. she placed it in her mouth and the second it touched her tongue, she could feel her lips bruising up again. the girl swallowed it dry, nearly regurgitating as she did.

"good girl." indah said, dehumanising her daughter. she collected the tin from the table and placed the lid on it. glancing at the lid with a smile, she read the label: mountain ash & mandrake.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"try the first task." dr zhao ordered her daughter.

the experiments had been going on for a year now. moonee was now seven. she had gotten paler and looked more sickly than ever.

one of the people who had noticed the change in her appearance was melissa mccall. the woman babysat moonee, her nine-year-old son, scott mccall and seven-year-old francesca santiago, from time to time - while indah was at work.