Chapter 4

Chapter 4

    “An everstone! But what- Ash what is the meaning of this?” asked Cynthia confused. Her Garchomp had the same look of surprise on her face as her trainer’s.

Ash and Garchomp looked at each other and smiled; Garchomp nodded, and Ash said, “About three months ago, Garchomp here-Gabite at the time- was about to evolve after an intense training match with my Charizard. However, much to my surprise, he forced himself to stop evolving and then promptly collapsed. Once he regained consciousness, all he said to me was ‘Ash, I’m not ready yet.’ He didn’t explain any further than that, but I didn’t care. I fashioned that pendant for him and attached an everstone to it so he wouldn’t have to worry about evolving. For over two months he refused to tell me his reason why. He only just told me a few days ago. Apparently, it was because of her.” Ash pointed at Cynthia’s Garchomp.

“What do you mean Ash? What does my Garchomp have to do with this?” asked Cynthia looking even more confused than before.

    Ash chuckled before continuing, “Everything. Garchomp refused to evolve before facing yours in battle. He refused to evolve for any other opponent, saying it was the least he could do to show his gratitude to her for all she’s done for him. He simply would not evolve for anyone else, no matter what. That’s why we challenged you to a battle. My Garchomp here has been waiting to see your Garchomp for almost three months now, and who am I to make him wait any longer?” Ash shrugged as he finished. Cynthia was stunned. Her Garchomp even more so, although equally touched.

    “Is this true Gayle?” asked Cynthia’s Garchomp. (A/N: Gayle is obviously Ash’s Garchomp’s special species only name)

    “It is,” answered Gayle. “I sensed that I was close to evolving several months ago, however, our trainers split before I had the chance. You’ve done so much for me Gia. You’ve always been there for me, you helped me grow, you helped me get so much stronger than I could have ever imagined, remember how I used to struggle with Draco Meteor?” Gia winced as she remembered Garchomp’s horrible attempts at Draco Meteor when he was still a Gible. Gayle continued, “And you were the one who made me evolve into a Gabite after pushing me to my limits and beyond. You’re the most amazing pokemon I’ve ever met Gia. Waiting to battle you before I evolved was the least I could do to express my gratitude towards you. From the bottom of my heart Gia, I thank you for everything you’ve done for me.”

Gia blinked twice, she was shocked! She could hardly believe that this proud Garchomp in front of was once the small and cute little Gible that she once trained. ‘Gayle, you’ve grown up so much, I’m proud of you.’ she thought. Suddenly, Gia felt a strange emotion that she’d never felt before stir in her heart. Recognizing it for the natural instinct all pokemon- even legendaries- felt, and understanding its implications, she blushed. ‘I’ve decided, he’s the one. But first I want to test him. Let’s see how much stronger my little baby student has become.’ she thought.

Gia flashed Gayle the sweetest smile the huge, pseudo-legendary pokemon could.“Well well, I’m flattered Gayle. Seems my little Gibby has grown up to be quite the man,” she teased, winking at him.

Gayle blushed and stared resolutely at the ground. “I’m not a little Gible anymore Gia,” he said embarrassedly. “Could you please stop calling me that? It’s embarrassing.”

“Oh I’m well aware,” replied Gia. “You’ve grown into quite the Garchomp now, but I’m afraid you will always be ‘little baby Gibby’ to me. That’s the thing about teachers, I’m afraid. Old habits die hard, as they say. Now, are you ready for the toughest battle of your life little Gibby?” Gia asked, flashing him another dazzling smile.

Gayle was distracted by her smile for a few moments before snapping back to his senses and saying with a grin, “Of course! What do you think I’ve been doing these past few months?! I’ve become a lot stronger since the last time we met Gia.”