Ch 15- Auferte dolorem

Adelaide sat on her bed in the empty dorm. She pulled out the note, which was now slightly crumpled at the edges. Adelaide unfolded it and read;

'Potions classroom. 8 O'clock sharp.
Prof. S. Snape'

"What the?" Adelaide muttered.

What did she mess up now? Her mind wandered trying to remember what she could have possibly done wrong.

Her good mood was now covered with worry, as she made her way to Divination.

"Good day," said the misty voice of Professor Trelawney "My dears, it is time for us to consider the stars," she said. 

"The movements of the planets and the mysterious portents they reveal only to those who understand the steps of the celestial dance. Human destiny may be deciphered by the planetary rays, which intermingle . . ."

Harry zoned off in the middle of the class.

"Harry" Adelaide whispered as she shook him.

"What?" he said dazedly.

"I was saying, my dear, that you were clearly born under the baleful influence of Saturn," said Professor Trelawney, a faint note of resentment in her voice at the fact that Harry had obviously not been hanging on her words.

"Born under — what, sorry?" said Harry.

"Saturn, dear, the planet Saturn!" said Professor Trelawney, sounding definitely irritated that he wasn't riveted by this news.

"I was saying that Saturn was surely in a position of power in the heavens at the moment of your birth. . . . Your dark hair . . . your mean stature . . . tragic losses so young in life . . . I think I am right in saying, my dear, that you were born in midwinter?"

"No," said Harry, "I was born in July."

Ron hastily turned his laugh into a hacking cough.

Half an hour later, each of them had been given a complicated circular chart and was attempting to fill in the position of the planets at their moment of birth.

"I've got two Neptunes here," said Harry after a while, frowning down at his piece of parchment, "that can't be right, can it?"

"Aaaaah," said Ron, imitating Professor Trelawney's mystical whisper, "when two Neptunes appear in the sky, it is a sure sign that a midget in glasses is being born, Harry. . . ."

Adelaide shook with silent laughter. Seamus and Dean, who were working nearby, sniggered loudly, though not loudly enough to mask the excited squeals from Lavender Brown —

"Oh Professor, look! I think I've got an unaspected planet! Oooh, which one's that, Professor?"

"Uranus," Adelaide whispered, knowing the answer.

"It is Uranus, my dear," said Professor Trelawney, peering down at the chart.

"How the hell?" Harry muttered looking absolutely bewildered. Adelaide just winked at him.

"Can I have a look at Uranus too, Lavender?" said Ron.

Most, unfortunately, Professor Trelawney heard him, and it was this, perhaps, that made her give them so much homework at the end of the class.

"A detailed analysis of the way the planetary movements in the coming month will affect you, with reference to your personal chart," she snapped, sounding much more like Professor McGonagall than her usual airy-fairy self.

"I want it ready to hand in next Monday, and no excuses!"

"Miserable old bat," said Ron bitterly as they joined the crowds descending the staircases back to the Great Hall and dinner. "That'll take all weekend, that will. . . ."