𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐞𝐭 (𝟐)

"The ground gave way

"The ground gave way. My TARDIS must've fallen down right into the heart of the planet. But you've got robot drills heading the same way." The Doctor pleaded with Zach, the instant they'd returned to the command room.

"We can't divert the drilling."

Cass stepped up to him, eyes wide as she insisted softly, "You don't understand, please. He needs his ship, it's the only thing he has left. Literally."

Zach shook his head, pity in his eyes as he replied, "we've only got the resources to drill one central shaft down to the power source, and that's it. No diversions, no distractions, no exceptions. Your machine is lost. All I can do is offer you three a lift if we ever get to leave this place, and that... is the end of it."

He walked away, Ida approaching the couple softly, "I'll uh, put you on the duty roster. We need someone in the laundry." Before leaving, following Zach outside.

As the redhead bit her lip, she felt herself being pulled into a warm chest, hugging the Doctor back, holding him tightly to her. His fingers dug into her hair, desperately holding her to him, as though he couldn't bare to lose her too. As she slowly pulled away, he leaned their foreheads together, whispering, "The TARDIS wasn't the only thing i had left. I have you, and you're infinitely more important to me."

And that was the truth. His ship may have been the only relic he still had of his planet, his people. But so long as he had his tether, so long as nothing took her away from him, then he would be alright.

Eventually.

Cass smiled gently, pressing their lips together in a tender kiss, "So long as she's still alive, we'll get her back. I promise."

He nodded slowly, before looking over her shoulder at Rose, and whispering quietly, "I've trapped you here. Both of you."

The blonde shook her head, "No, don't worry about me." As Cass chuckled, looking at her, "And I'm kinda stuck to you regardless. Tethered and all."

He didn't laugh, didn't even smile, but she could feel his gratitude drifting through her, and he pulled her closer, kissing the top of her head gently.

The base shook again, and Rose, who'd been looking out the window, mumbled, "Okay, we're on a planet that shouldn't exist, under a black hole... and no way out." She inhaled sharply, before looking at them, "Yeah, I've changed my mind. Start worrying about me."

—————

They'd gone back to the canteen, Rose eating, as Cass nursed a cup of bad space station coffee between her palm.

The Doctor was sitting beside her, his arm swung casually over her shoulders, hand playing mindlessly with a strand of impossibly red hair, when the lights began flickering ominously.

"Zach, have we got a problem?" Ida called on her wrist communicator.

Seconds later, the captain's voice came through, "No more than usual. Got the Scarlet System burning up, it might be worth a look."