Chapter 19.

~Bethany~

I hung up the phone and let it fall from my hand to the bed

What was I gonna do?

If I didn't show up, they would know something was wrong.

But then when I did show up, dateless and pregnant...

Damn it.

I slid to the end of my bed and dropped my head into my hands.

Think Bethany.

Just then Derek walked in.

"How you doing?" He plopped on the bed beside me and frowned at my face. "What's wrong?"

"My parents..." I took a deep breath. "My parents, want me to come to our family reunion next weekend."

"That's it? What's so bad about that?" He raised an eyebrow.

I gestured to my stomach.

"I'm knocked up and single! If they see me like this they'll automatically ask who the father is!" I started shaking.

Derek rubbed my back and tried soothing me.

"B, it's fine just tell them August-" I looked up at him quickly. "Oh, so they don't like August either?"

"Hell no." I mumbled.

He laughed, "Damn, what did this dude do for everybody to hate him like this?"

"A long story." I looked away from him.

"Well, I've got time." He said and turned me to face him, sitting me in his lap.

My head popped up again.

"Derek!" I shouted, grinning.

"Bethany!" He replied. "What you screamin' for?"

"Because I have an idea." I poked my lip out and tried looking as sad as possible. "Derek will you pleaaase be my date to my family reunion?"

He pretended to think.

"Duh." He rolled his eyes and laughed.

"Omg thank you! Thank you!" I straddled him and kissed all over his face . "Thank you!"

"Aye cut that out." He tried dodging me and he looked down and smirked. "You better stop. You know this why you pregnant now."

"Hush." I muffed him and tried sliding off his lap but he held me in place.

"Where you going?"He laid back against the headboard.

"Uh...I gotta pee." I lied.

"Lie again. If you had to pee, you wouldn't be so relaxed right now." He looked down where we connect, then back at me. "Bethany...have you ever thought about if we had dated in high school?"

Well that was random.

"Um, I mean I never really thought about it." I replied honestly, looking at my belly. "Maybe I'd be having your baby instead of August's." I joked.

I looked down at him in deep thought.

He rubbed his hands slowly up and down my thighs giving me goosebumps.

"What are you thinking?" I poked his chest.

"Nun." He mumbled. "It's dumb."

"Nooo you know it'll kill me if you don't tell me." I groaned. "You can tell me anything, Derek."

He stared at me intently for a couple seconds.

I wondered what had him so serious.

"Ight." He repositioned me on his lap. "There was this chick in high school. Real beautiful, long brown hair, hazel eyes, nice ass." He chuckled. "She was everything I wanted in a girlfriend. I was practically in love with her." He smiled at the memory. "The only thing was, she had a nigga."

"Derek, what-" I said.

"Nah lemme finish. You need to hear this." He took a deep breath and continued. "So anyways, her nigga was a real cocky asshole and he was fuckin' other chicks behind her back. Everybody knew except for her. But that shit caught up to him when one girl he was messing with got pregnant. They broke up when she found out he was having a baby behind her back. I was gonna go after her then, but she never gave me the time of day cause she was still stuck on ole' dude."

He stared into my eyes, waiting for a reaction.

"Bethany, do you understand what I'm trying to tell you?" He brushed his hand down my cheek.

I thought about it...

Nope.

"No. No clue." I raised an eyebrow. "Derek, who was the girl you were in love with?"

He sat up and got closer.

Our lips were inches apart and my nose was filled with his minty breath.

He spoke softly, "The beautiful girl I had those feelings for in high school, and even now, was you Bethany."

He looked into my eyes for permission and when I nodded, he kissed me.