Hollow Kisses

I crossed my arms as if to protect myself from the freezing winds howling outside the simulated windows.

"Will," Caiden said in a wistful whisper, his heat intensifying as he stepped closer to me.

"I—" I started, unsure which of the subjects flaring in my flustered mind would leave my lips next. "I hear you're finally narrowing down the pool of potential suitors," I finally said before he touched me again.

My hands shook violently in the web of my arms. I didn't find it pleasant or entertaining to confront Caiden about last night's assertions, but apparently, I needed to know.

Caiden didn't answer, and I looked over my shoulder to see an expression of confusion sealing his lips shut.

I bit the inside of my cheek, turning to approach the enormous windows and fiddle with the silky blue curtains. "However," I said before I could stop myself. "I'm finding it difficult to establish who you find most attractive with your current approach. Arisu? Piper? Maybe Alia—"

"Alia?" Caiden suddenly said, making me shift my eyes to see a confused wrinkle form across the bridge of his nose.

I snorted quietly. Of course, Alia's name caught his attention among the suitors I'd named.

His interest in her puzzled me. She may be pretty—possibly smarter than most—but her attitude and behavior were less than appropriate for a future golden queen. However, if he did choose her to remain by his side, it may be easier not ever wanting to see him again.

The expression of shock and surprise faded with my silence, changing into the face of someone who had lost all desire to justify the unspoken sins I was accusing him of.

"I guess Piper told you what happened during our last date," he said, sighing heavily and massaging the back of his neck, not even allowing me the decency of a look. "I wasn't aware that you girls shared that kind of detail."

I narrowed my eyes and clenched my jaw to visibly display how appalled I felt by his ignorance of doing such things in the belief that the information wouldn't be shared or used like a merciless weapon against the other envious suitors.

"This is a competition, Caiden. Very few secrets remain in the privates of our minds. Besides, I'm sure if Piper hadn't told us, Arawn would've dug it out somehow anyway," I said, forcing my voice to remain calm instead of being consumed by the bitterness brewing inside me. "So... are you?"

"Am I what?" Caiden said, finally meeting my agitated eyes.

My heart jumped nervously, but I didn't waver from his gaze. "Narrowing the pool of suitors," I said, clarifying what he undoubtedly knew I'd referred to.

It wasn't my place to care whether he kissed other girls, but despite the undeniable stinging in my heart, this wasn't only about me. I hated to think that Caiden was playing with Piper and Calla. However, if he was deceiving them, I planned to make sure he received my unfiltered opinion of how despicable it was to play with a woman's heart like that.

"Not necessarily," he said, avoiding my gaze again to hide his shame.

"Care to elaborate?" I said, my body humming to neglect the etiquette lessons and lash out like a wild animal. However, as Caiden's silence remained persistent, I stood to lose my patience.

"Caiden—"

"The king demands it," he said, interrupting me with a voice harsher than I'd expected. "He happens to be worried that I'm neglecting my responsibilities towards the Crown Trials in favor of refining my powers or schooling you."

My heart skipped a beat as he mentioned remarks similar to those the king and I had exchanged.

"My father wishes to see me more involved with the suitors—possibly even advancing the competition to the next stage faster than I would like to admit I'm ready for, but Will... It was merely a kiss and nothing more."