• | Chapter Sixty-Three | •

| A Week Later, Early May ~ Three and A Half Weeks Until Graduation. . .

It took a while, but it finally felt like Riley's life had somewhat turned back around and her grades had improved drastically. The thought of her finally walking across that stage and receiving her diploma ignited a spark of excitement although it still saddened her that she still hadn't made any more plans after that.

College became the last thing on her mind since she still had to figure out how to deal with her pregnancy.

That early morning, Riley had just picked up her cap and gown by the cafeteria, and it almost felt surreal if it wasn't for her fingers brushing against the burgundy, silk fabric. She was almost at the finish line.

Jay popped up behind her and slung an arm over her shoulder, almost scaring her to death. Jay gave her an apologetic smile when she noticed Riley clutch her chest like she was having a heart attack.

"Damn, Jay. You can't be doing that anymore." Riley said after letting out a shaky breath.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you. It's kinda a habit. Anyways, you excited?" She asked with a wide smile to which Riley nodded. "Aww, I can see you struttin' across that stage with your little honor stole and your curls bouncing in the wind."

Riley couldn't help but grin at the image. "Nah, I won't be doing all that. I just wanna grab my diploma and get the hell out."

"Girl, you better work that stage. You'll never have to see these idiots again, eat that nasty ass cafeteria food, annnd Mr. J is gonna be watching your every move as he's cheering you on." Jay bumped her shoulder a little, resulting in a soft laugh. "Speaking of which, he's looking for you."

Riley furrowed her eyebrows. "For what?"

"I don't know, girl. That's your man." Jay chuckled before heading into a different direction.

Riley smirked and shook her head before making her way to his office. She stopped by her locker first and grabbed a random folder to lessen any suspicions. Someone suddenly clearing their throat grabbed her attention and she turned her head to see Ian standing some inches away from her. The bruises on his face were finally clearing up.

An abrupt scowl ripped across her face despite the fact she tried to not let it show. She quickly closed her locker and was about to walk away before he spoke.

"Wait, can we talk for a sec?" He asked, and she could detect some genuinity in his voice. To his relief, she didn't ignore him and ended up turning around to face him with both the folder and her folded graduation uniform pressed against her chest.

"What?" Her tone was hostile, but he understood why.

He rubbed the back of his neck and took a breath before saying, "I apologize for my actions the night of prom. I shouldn't have come onto you like that and embarrassed you."

She narrowed her eyes. "Who put you up to this?"

"Nobody." He said. "I really am sorry for the things I said and did. I do like you, but I understand you're in a relationship and I'm gonna respect that. Whoever he is, he's a lucky dude."

A little bit of warmth swirled in her cheeks and she gave a soft, "Thanks."

"Foreal, Riley, you're one of the most beautiful girls in this school and I just wanted to shoot my shot. I messed it up, obviously. Even if you didn't have a boyfriend, I know that my actions from that night would've turned you off from me. I did a lot of self-reflection, thought about some guy doing that to my little sis, and then realized I owe you an apology. So again, I'm extremely sorry for messing up your night and disrespecting you."