Chapter 2

"Is she awake?"

"I saw her hands move mama."

"Get me water and my bottle of olive oil."
I heard these voices but it was hard to tell which voice belonged to whom, they were all so different, and so strange.
I was so tired to move, deep in me I was really tired. But I felt something in me, like a raw ball of energy whirling within me. I tried to move my legs but they felt stiff, soon after, my entire body started becoming stiff. My breathing started becoming laboured and my body started feeling heavy. I don't know what happened but I felt myself fly up from the place I was laying on like I was weightless, I couldn't open my eyes to see what was going on around me so everything was dark.
It happened for a few seconds before I felt myself fall back down with a thump, my body too stiff to feel anything. I was so confused and scared.

What just happened to me?

Where's everyone?

Why does my body feel as heavy as a log?

Why does my body feel funny?

After a few minutes of mental contemplation, I felt very weak, like someone buried me in the soil. I heard more muffled voices coming closer. I was seeing a whole lot of things at once, a lot of figures were dancing around my vision. I was still very tired but I willed my eyes to open. I was able to open my eyes and look around.

At first everything was too bright for my eyes, so I closed my eyes on reflex. After sometime I prepared my eyes to meet the brightness but immediately I opened my eyes, everywhere was so dark, like someone just switched the lights off. I looked around the dark place for a while, checking to see where I was but all I saw was a green figure who looked like my mum make their way to me.

"Who are you?" I asked the figure. Immediately the words came out of my mouth, my throat felt dry and I looked around for water, my vision was still dark but I tried to look for something to calm my itchy throat. I kept on looking around until I saw a blue substance in a transparent cup. I was confused at first but I needed to drink something. As I leaned to touch it, the green figure took the cup and brought it to my lips.

I wanted to question the figure, but as the cool liquid entered my mouth, I didn't feel the need to complain anymore. I let the cool water calm my hot body until the water was finished.
After I was done with the water, I watched as the green figure helped drop the cup back. A lot of things crossed my mind at once.

Who is this green figure?

Why is the water blue?

Why is everywhere dark?

I looked at the green figure and raised my hands to touch it. I noticed after I drank the cold water, I felt very energetic and strong, not too strong, but strong enough.
I touched the figure and I saw the same figure reach out their hands touch mine. The touch was just like my mama's own but it was all confusing. Where was my mum's wild hair? Where was my mum's beautiful face?
Where was her skin?
Why was she green?

To many questions I needed answers to but I don't who to ask. I decided to see if the green figure could speak.
"Who are you?" I asked, hopeful and desperate for an answer.

"Nwam, so you don't know your mother again?" I heard my mum ask me back. It sounded exactly like my mum, except my mum was crying. I saw the green figure clean her face with her hands the way my mum does. I was so confused.

"You sound like my mama, but you don't look like my mama. Why do you look like this?" I asked the figure. I heard my mum sniffing before the figure stood up and walked away. I tried to stand up but I felt a sharp pain on my palm, reminding me I was plugged to something. I looked at the silver tube and saw it connect to a silver bag above me. I grabbed it and tried to leave the bed I was in but I heard my family's voices so I stayed back.

"Jordan, she doesn't know me anymore! She doesn't recognise me again! A child I carried for 9 months suddenly doesn't know me anymore." I heard my mama's voice from the living room.

"I'm sure we'll figure something out, just stay strong honey, we'll figure this out. Let's talk to her and see what happens. Jayden and the rest stay at our back." I heard my dad voice become clearer and clearer.
I tried looking at where they'll come from but the place was still dark. The only thing I saw was 6 more green figures coming closer to where I was seated.

Only then did I realise what the problem was.

I am blind, partially blind.

I saw my family members and Andrew come close to me and sit around me, well my parents sat beside me and the rest stood in front of me.
"Rose? Do you know who we are?" I heard my dad ask me.

I looked at him and tried to see if I can see anything that relates to my dad except from the voice, but I found nothing. All I saw was green and it annoyed me. I looked around the place I was in and I saw black, but I was still seeing some colours around, I saw figures that looked like ants but they were brown, like coffee brown. It occurred to me that I can see living things but they come in different colours.

I looked at my dad and stared hard. I looked at my family and stared at each of them. All I could see was green. It was so annoying I started to cry. I started crying really hard, confusing my family.

"Nwanyi oma, please stop crying oh. My nwam, please stop." I heard my mama's crying voice wipe my eyes.
I nodded and proceeded to wipe my tears and then I saw my hand. I look at my hands and suddenly started panicking.
I took a good look at myself and what I saw shocked me to the core.

I was red.

"Mama what do I look like?" I asked my  mum. She was shocked to know that I recognise her but she stared at me before holding my face in her hands.
"What are you saying? You look like you. You look like my Rose, my Ada. Why are you asking me all these questions? You're scaring me?"

I shaked my head profusely and looked at my dad. "Dad, what do I look like?"
I could tell my dad was confused too but he held it in. "Rose, honey, you look like you do. Why are you asking these questions? What do you think you look like?"

"Are you all seeing me? Why can't I see you people? Why are you all green? Why can't I see anymore? Am I blind? Dad, mama, am I BLIND??" I asked quickly feeling the panic set in. I looked at myself and saw I took a deeper shade of red. The fear and panic was deep in me, so heavy for me to handle. I was shaking like someone who was having a convulsion. I heard my family move around to check what my problem was. I felt people hold my arms and legs and lie me down on the bed, I felt a cold towel draped over my head. I didn't know what was happening around me, I couldn't hear things anymore, my mind was still running with different questions. I was still so scared and I don't know why I'm not seeing things anymore but I didn't like it one bit.

My body felt incredibly hot and immediately I felt like I was hit with a spear, I jerked and felt my body remain stiff for some seconds before I gave in to the darkness.

What do you all think is happening to Rose?