~18~

“What do you mean she changed?” You asked Dain, confused with what he was talking about.

“She literally changed,” Dain looked away. “She’s completely different. It’s like she isn’t Lumine anymore. Ever since you disappeared, she’s changed and started leading the people of Khaenri'ah who were turned into monsters.”

“The citizens of Khaenri'ah were turned into monsters?” You slowly questioned, your fist tightening in anger. “How? I thought I destroyed Khaenri'ah to keep that lady from taking the power core.”

“She found survivors and they were turned into hilichurls and the rest of that kin,” Dain explained. “Lumine now leads them under the name of the Abyss Order. I attacked you because I thought you had a hand in that.”

“Lumine had a hand in all of the Abyss attacks,” Aether interrupted in disbelief. “But why? And that lady that you were talking about, who do you think she is?"

“That we don’t know,” Dain shook his head. "All we know is that the person who attacked Teyvat was incredibly powerful. Lumine, who was the strongest fighter, didn't even stand a chance against her."

"What did she look like?" Kazuha asked, hoping to maybe get an idea on who it possibly could be.

"She looked like a goddess," you described. "Flying white hair, golden orange hair, white outfit…"

Aether's eyes widened as you explained what the lady had looked like, "She's the one who attacked me and Lumine as we were traveling to this world."

Kazuha interrupted, "Traveling to this world?"

"The whole reason why I'm traveling is to look for my sister," Aether started. "We used to travel from world to world and then we made it here. When we tried to leave this world, a goddess-like being attacked us and we were trapped here. I don't have any of my old abilities and my sister was gone the moment I woke up."

After analyzing Aether's story, things started to clear up. Piecing together the puzzling stories between you and Aether, the best conclusion that you could come up with was that that unknown goddess wants to keep Teyvat formed in her ideal space and world.

"Then that's most likely who we're going have to fight," you sighed, thinking back on the battle that you fought a long time ago. 

"That's scary," Paimon shivered.

"If she's as powerful as you say," Kazuha thought out loud. "And we do have to fight her, how would we fight her?"

"Who knows," Dain summoned his sword. "All I know is that we have to rescue your sister from the curse whether it leads to fighting that goddess or not."

You nodded with Dains words in agreement. You would not let this continue on no matter what.

“I refuse to let this stand,” you clenched your fist even tighter to the point where your knuckles turned white. “Let's find her and change her back. Let’s save our people if there are any survivors and bring back Khaenri'ah.”

Anger coursing through your veins, you wanted to hurry and rush towards where Lumine was and figure out what caused that change in her - though, you had a suspicion you knew the reason. Noticing your anger, Kazuha held your hand which was now bleeding from the pressure from your nails cutting into your skin.

“Calm down y/n,” Kazuha continued to hold your hand. “I know you’re frustrated but we won't be able to go through this if you aren't in your right mind."

He placed his hand over your cheek and turned your face to look into his eyes. Looking deeply into his eyes, it was like you were sucked in. His red eyes shone like a ruby, beautiful and elegant. Staring into it, you got lost in his confident and calm eyes.

"You dare carelessly touch my lady," Dain growled as he pulled Kazuha away from you.

Speechless, your face turned red and you could feel your ears heating up. Dain started to lecture Kazuha as you went down into a fetal position to cover your face. Just what in the world was that. That moment with Kazuha had made you feel like it was just you and him in the world. 

Head up, you turned your gaze towards Kazuha who was staring at an annoyed Dain mindlessly. Giggling, you couldn't help but think of how cute Kazuha was.

"You like Kazuha don't you y/n," Paimon whispered in your ear out of nowhere.

Squealing, you fell on your back. “Paimon!” You yelled, you face tomato red. 

“Are you ok?” Aether held his hand for you to help you get up.

Paimon teasingly giggled at you as you tried to fan your even hotter face. Grumbling under your breath, you walked away annoyed with Paimon after Aether had helped you up.

Walking away from the area, you leaned on a tree not too far from where everyone else was. Soon, you heard steps coming closer to the tree where you leaned on. Eyes closed, you tried to calm the thoughts that were flying around your head.

"Hey y/n," Kazuha said as he leaned on the other side of the tree. "Are you okay there?"

By far, you were not okay. Definitely not okay. Hearing Kazuha's calming voice had made your heart skip a beat. You never felt like this before. It was like you wanted to spend more time with him, you never wanted him to leave you, and you just wanted to stay by his side forever.

This was something that you had never felt before. Because of your curse, you had trained your heart to never get close to anyone - especially to never fall in love with someone. But, whenever you were near Kazuha, it felt like all those years, those eons of not getting attachments had gone down the drain.

These were feelings that you knew you had to push down or else Kazuha would die just like the others that you had grown close to.

You couldn't let that happen. 

No matter what, even if it meant hurting you heart, you would protect Kazuha.

Exhaling, you forced a smile on your face and went on the other side of the trunk where Kazuha waited for you.

Hands behind your back, you smiled, "Yup I'm good. Shall we get going?"