Monster Doughnuts

Y/n Pov:

"Thermos!" Percy screamed as we hurtled toward the water. 

"What?" I shouted.

Has he lost his mind?

I hope he finds it.

Oh, my gods! Shut up!

I was holding on to the boat straps for dear life.  Annabeth held onto the one opposite boat straps, her hair flying straight up like a torch.

Tyson managed to open Percy's duffel bag and take out Hermes's magical thermos without losing his grip on it or the boat. 

That's what he meant!

Arrows and javelins whistled past us. 

Percy grabbed the thermos. "Hang on!" 

"I am hanging on!" Annabeth yelled. 

"Tighter!" 

He hooked his feet under the boat's inflatable bench, and as Tyson grabbed Annabeth, Percy and me by the backs of our shirts, Percy gave the thermos cap a quarter turn. 

Instantly, a white sheet of wind jetted out of the thermos and propelled us sideways, turning our downward plummet into a forty-five-degree crash landing. 

The wind seemed to laugh as it shot from the thermos like it was glad to be free. As we hit the ocean, we bumped once, twice, skipping like a stone, then we were whizzing along like a speed boat, salt spray in our faces and nothing but sea ahead. 

I heard a wail of outrage from the ship behind us, but we were already out of weapon range. The Princess Andromeda faded to the size of a white toy boat in the distance, and then it was gone. 

~

As we raced over the sea, Annabeth, Percy and I tried to send an Iris message to Chiron. We figured it was important we let somebody know what Luke was doing, and we didn't know who else to trust. 

The wind from the thermos stirred up a nice sea spray that made a rainbow in the sunlight—perfect for an Iris message—but our connection was still poor. When Annabeth threw a gold drachma into the mist and prayed for the rainbow goddess to show us Chiron, his face appeared all right, but there was some kind of weird strobe light flashing in the background and rock music blaring like he was at a dance club. 

We told him about sneaking away from camp, and Luke and the Princess Andromeda and the golden box for Kronos's remains, but between the noise on his end and the rushing wind and water on our end, I'm not sure how much he heard. 

"Percy," Chiron yelled, "you have to watch out for—" 

His voice was drowned out by loud shouting behind him—a bunch of voices whooping it up like Comanche warriors. 

"What?" Percy yelled. 

"Curse my relatives!" Chiron ducked as a plate flew over his head and shattered somewhere out of sight. "Y/n, you shouldn't have let Percy leave camp! But if you do get the Fleece—" 

"Yeah, baby!" somebody behind Chiron yelled. "Woohoooooo!" 

The music got cranked up, subwoofers so loud it made our boat vibrate. 

"—Miami," Chiron was yelling. "I'll try to keep watch—" 

Our misty screen smashed apart like someone on the other side had thrown a bottle at it, and Chiron was gone.