Chapter 43

Enzo felt like he was suffocating.

The instant Maddy had freed him of his restraints, she'd pulled him into a hug, holding him so tightly that he let out a slight squeak, looking at Klaus over her shoulder, wondering who he was and why he seemed so happy with Maddy's reaction.

"Madeleine," said Enzo, wiggling his arms as she rubbed the back of his head affectionately. "Can't quite breathe."

She let go of him, drawing back and cupping his face in her hands. "Are you okay? How long have you been here? How are you alive?"

Too many questions at once, but he managed to answer them.

"Dr. Maxfield has not been here in several days," said Enzo. "Aside from feeling hunger... I feel no pain at the moment. I have lost track of time, but I believe I have only been here since... a week or two ago. He found another test subject and brought me here. Likely thought I'd corrupt the other one. As for how I'm alive... after you left, one of the scientists spared me. Ran in. Freed me. Pulled me into another building. Wasn't long before I was back in a cage."

"I'm so sorry," she whispered. "I'm so, so, sorry..."

"It wasn't your fault. You pleaded for him to go back and he refused."

"I should have fought harder..."

"You'd hardly had blood, you didn't even have the strength to rush toward the guests and feed. You were muzzled. It wasn't possible, Madeleine. I do not blame you, I promise." He then seemed to acknowledge that Klaus was still there, standing with his arms tucked behind his back. "Who's this bloke? I expected Damon would be with you if you ever found me."

"He's my boyfriend," said Maddy, looking back at Klaus, who realized she'd started to cry when she quickly wiped beneath her eyes. "Klaus Mikaelson. The Original Hybrid."

Enzo blanched. "An Original. You... are with an Original? I only ever heard legends... is it true that you can travel from place to place via teleportation?"

Klaus smirked. "If we could, I assure you, the world would not be as populated as it currently is."

"What about invisibility? Can you—?"

"I would like it if I could. But alas, I cannot."

"What can you do, then?"

"Aside from being stronger, faster, and more agile than any other vampire as well as being indestructible... I can compel other vampires. Turn into a wolf at will. All other abilities are the same."

Maddy made a face. "You haven't turned into a wolf since your ritual."

"I don't much care for it. Why? Are you interested in seeing me naked, love?"

He wiggled his eyebrows, and Enzo snickered, all while Maddy turned quite red.

"You must be famished," said Klaus calmly, changing the subject. "There's a town full of people aboveground. Care for a drink? You are... family, after all."

Maddy knew that he was hinting at her telling Enzo the truth about their connection, which was definitely a good idea. "Let's get you out of here," she said, putting an arm around Enzo. "Then, we can talk."

Obviously, Enzo didn't expect that Klaus's words were literal. He figured that he just knew that he considered Maddy a sister.

They found a drunk passed out in an alleyway, which turned into a perfect meal for Enzo. He wiped his mouth when he finished, just before the man died, and Klaus took charge of compelling him to forget and feeding him some vampire blood before sending him on his way.