Chapter 30: His godfather Sebastian

Zoe's POV

When I first had the feeling that I'd see Cindy again I thought it was just my paranoia, that it was that side of me that liked exaggerating situations but I didn't think it would actually happen.
The following day she came over again, and once again the two of them left together.

I know I'm acting crazy. The worst part is that I know I'm acting like the jealous girlfriend but I don't know why. I want to stop feeling this way and just stop feeling anything about Alex in overall, but I just can't. Something about the thought of them being together just makes me nauseous.

"You should have seen how she was, you would have been ashamed on her behalf too. She makes herself too available." I complained to JoJo.

"They just really good friends. She was out of town for awhile, they are just catching up. Maybe if you got to know her you might actually like her. I don't usually dish out compliments, you know?" JoJo added. "Alex doesn't do relationships, of any kind. You are the longest relationship he has ever had with anyone," She said while keeping her eyes on the tomatoes she was busy cutting.

"But we are not together like that," I said defensive.

"Exactly," She stated. "You have nothing to be jealous about."

"I'm not jealous," I said defensive. "I'm just being curious about the kind of woman who would potentially be my baby's stepmother. Have you read Cinderella?"

I sat down on the stool and started counting in my head to calm myself down. I don't even know what was wrong with me anymore, I couldn't even recognize myself. I don't know why I was letting this get to me.
It was his personal life, it had nothing to do with me.

"Do you know what happened to Alexander's parents?" I suddenly asked.

The room fell silent and JoJo dropped the knife. Just by seeing her reaction, I could tell it was something that made her uncomfortable.

"Well...that is a very sensitive topic, you should rather wait until  Alex tells you himself." She answered instead. 

I suddenly regretted not taking the opportunity to ask him when I had. I had a feeling that something serious must have happened to them. Especially if they died together.

I found myself counting the hours of the day. I really needed to find a new hobby! I spent my day looking at my watch and pretending to be reading a book because I was looking at the time.

Something light up inside of me when Alex returned home early from work. It meant it was more time he wasn't spending with her.

Today he didn't walk in and make another sarcastic comment like he usually does.
Instead, he seemed rather tense and stressed out. He tried to hide it, although he didn't  project his anger towards me, I could see it.

"Why do you look so stressed." I finally asked.

"I lot has been going on at work lately, maybe it's also because my godfather is coming over today," Alex said while scanning through some pages he had been holding.

"He seems very important, you didn't react this way when Justin came over the other day." I said.

"He is practically the only family I have left except for the  baby. He is also my mentor, he taught me a lot." He explained.

He placed the hip of pages onto the table.
I seemed to be bothering him. He was busy and I just kept coming up with a new question.

"My guess is that he is the one who turned you into a idiot, do I need to punch him?" I joked.

Alex let out a laugh, for the first time in awhile I saw him smile. It looked good on him.

"He did that all on his own," A voice answered. Loud foot steps followed.

Alex and I both turned our attention to the source of the voice.

"Zoe, my godfather Sebastian." Alex said gesturing to the six feet, dark haired man standing in front of us.

Why do I always get caught when I do things behind people's backs?

"Hi," I said anxiously. "Nice to meet you," I said forcing a smile.

"The pleasure is all mine. I've been waiting to finally meet the woman who is carrying the heir of the entire Forbes empire." He answered.

He took my hand and kissed it gently.

He didn't seem to be offended at all by what I had said. He maintained his 'cool' and looked at me as if he was trying to analyze me.

"Should we go to my office," Alex offered.

"No, how about something a little less formal. Dinner maybe, Zoe here could join us." Sebastian suggested.

Alex nodded.

JoJo was quick to set up the dinner table.

Throughout dinner all they talked about was business. I wasn't mistaken when I thought that Alex seemed stressed. The situation seemed to be more serious than I could have ever imagined. They had investors that were pulling out their money, all because of some rumors. 
Sebastian was here to reassure Alex that everything was going to be alright along with giving him some advise.

I wonder they Sebastian even suggested that I joined them. I just sat there and listened.

But one thing was clear I could tell why Alex felt so strongly about Sebastian. He didn't try and argue any of his suggestions like he does to most people, he listened. I could tell they were close.

Once we all had finished eating, I was relieved. It meant I could go back to my room without meaning to be rude. I felt completely displaced. I felt like Donald Trump amongst Bill Gates and some other really smart guy.

Sebastian was first to excuse himself, he went to the restroom.

Alex stood up to answer a phone call.
I silently excused myself, being the only one left at the table.

I felt that I should have received a warning at least a day in advance that Sebastian would be coming over. I don't usually do well around strangers.

I walked up stairs, feeling a mild pain in my leg.

I was two doors away from my room when I heard whispers.
Like that stupid character in a horror movie who walks into a room where the killer is, I went to investigate.

To my surprise it was Sebastian and JoJo. The two of them were pacing up and down, mumbling to each other. The door was slightly opened but still giving me a perfect view of everything going on.

I stood behind the wall and peaked through the door.

"I thought I could trust you to help this boy make the right decision." Sebastian whisper-yelled.

JoJo sighed placing her hands on her hips.

"You know how Alexander can be, he is just like his father. He is every hardheaded. It's not as if I had a say in the matter." JoJo answered.

I wonder what they were arguing about. What were they trying to get Alexander to do?

Sebastian sighed taking a seat. "He has gotten himself into such a big scandal. If we don't think of something soon, he is going to lose a lot of clients."

JoJo folded her arms and started tapping her foot.

"This is what I was trying to avoid. If only he had taken my advice to just settle down and grow up. Most of his clients are family men. They won't be able to respect him in a situation like this. They want someone who is more, stable." Sebastian said.

"I can't help but feel responsible. I went along with the lie even though I knew clearly that his uncle was still alive." JoJo said.

"He will eventually find out soon, the old man is a show off. Can you believe that he managed to get his mistress pregnant at that age? Alexander is not going to be the last Forbes after all." Sebastian sighed. "Besides, we shouldn't feel bad about any of this at all. He would have never decided to have a child if not for that lie. That child is the best thing that has ever happened to him. Maybe once the is born he'll  finally change his ways. I can tell he is changing."

JoJo remained quite.

That conversion just cleared up all the doubts I might have had as to the reason why Alexander wanted a child so desperately. I wasn't the only one who thought he was irresponsible.
It just made him a danger to my child, he only want my baby as his insurance policy in case he died.

"I don't know how he managed to screw up so badly, all literally ever had to do was be born. He had everything." Sebastian added.

Sebastian looked up towards the door, right where I was standing. We made eye contact for awhile as the two of us tried to figure out the others reaction.

Shot! I had just been caught eavesdropping.

I quickly walked after from the door and returned downstairs, by the time I reached Alex I was out of breath. He was no longer on a phone call.

Sebastian was followed behind me.

He had a completely nonchalant attitude as if nothing had ever happened.

"I have to get going now, it was nice catching up with you Alex." Sebastian announced.

The three of us were now standing beneath the staircase, Alex seemed to have half his attention on his phone.

"Don't tell anyone about anything that you have just heard." Sebastian whispered softly to me. I could the threat in his voice, something told me he was capable of many things. "It was nice to finally meet you Zoe." He said loudly for Alex to hear.

"You should visit more often," Alexander said.

I forced a smile as Alex walked him out.

Taking a glance into Alexander's life and you would think that it's perfect, he seems to have it all. But now I'm realizing all the lies that he is surrounded by, I'm not too sure I blame him. He is just a liar amongst other liars.

Alexander said something, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Could you please repeat that," I said.

"I was just on the phone with the contractor, he said that your house is finally ready for you to move back into," He repeated.

"Eager to get rid of me already," I answered sarcastically.

"No, I like having you close to me," He answered.

"If you want me here so badly then why would you tell me?" I asked.

"I don't want to lie to you anymore," He answered seriously.

For the first time I was at loss of words. He sounded sincere.

"Okay,"  I answered nonchalant. "I guess I'll stay here for a few more days. But only because you want me here. " I said.

"Goodnight," He whispered.

Just like that, he was gone again.