69

Aniruddh stood at the door of his brother's bedroom. After he talked to Bondita, he left for court giving her the new set of shaka Pola and glass bangles. But he could not concentrate on work much. Good thing his team and Arti ji were with him to encourage him to focus. He knocked the door slightly and Batuk opened the door.

" Dada...?"

" Batuk..."

They both stood silent, one shifting weight from one feet to another while elder brother scratched the back of his head.

" Come in Dada." Batuk said moving aside.

" No. No. I am good. I...just had to talk...no, say something."

" Ji Dada ?"

" I am proud of you Batuk." For the first time Batuk had heard praise. Otherwise it was always ' Batuk study, Batuk is naughty and more. He smiled nervously.
" I am so proud of you. You handled everything so well, so maturely."

" Really ?"

" Yes ! Much, much better than a grown up. Batuk..." He kept his right hand on his shoulder. " Even full grown men can't take a stand in such a situation like you did."

" It was nothing to what you do..."

" You don't have to do it like me. And this is no competition. I am just glad...very very happy because of you. Thank you..."

" Don't thank me Dada ! She is my Baudi too."

" Yes she is. But I am not thanking you for helping her..."

Batuk looked confused.

" I am thanking you for being a wonderful young man..." He saw his little brother's eyes light up. " For not becoming another teenage boy like there are in village ,for not being a spoilt brat. You always went about calling your self chhote zamindar. You kept the dignity of it. You really are the chhote zamindar of this family." Aniruddh ruffled Batuk's hair as they both smiled.

It was a really memorable day for Batuk.

Bondita and Batuk sat on the breakfast table the next morning a little down. They had told their reasons of the punishment and were even praised for it but their suspension still remained. Usually they would have been getting ready for school by now but not today.

Bondita saw her Pati Babu come and got up from her seat to serve him.

" What are you doing ?" He asked in no nonsense tone still standing. Bondita looked at the plate in her hands and then to him. Wasn't it obvious ? " Go and get ready. You too Batuk."

Bondita and Batuk looked at each other with wide eyes.

" Didn't you hear me ?" Aniruddh said louder taking the plate from her.

" Yes...!" They both said in unison.

" Then go ! Go and get ready ! You are going to school." Instantly the teenagers were seeing racing to their rooms deciding to not ask questions.

" But Aniruddh..." Sampoorna was silent till now " they have been punished to not attend school. I mean, won't they land in more trouble ?"

" Whatever it is Sampoorna, I won't let them take heat for something they showed bravery for."

" Bravery ?"

" Long story."

" Too long to tell even to us ?" His Kaka and Baba had reached the table.

" No Kaka. I will tell you once I come back. We are getting late."

Aniruddh had dropped off the children on school gate and could easily tell they were nervous. And Bondita looked too scared. " Be brave like always, Ok ? You were not wrong and so you should not bend."